PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

leaking moon roof, surprise surprise

Old 07-01-2011, 04:10 PM

After googling I learned to open the H3 2006 moon roof, stick my head high enough above to see two drain holes on either front inside wall of the moon roof. I noticed one of the holes was submerged under water, a definite sign of a clog. I was pulling out after a heavy rain and always the sloshing; I was tired of it, causing me to do this inspection. I tried blowing by mouth through a gutted Bic pen, which was stuck into the clogged hole, but no joy. Next I pulled out the tire compressor and attached that needle inflator at the tip, then wrapped a plastic bag around the needle to form a crude seal. It worked. The water drained out, even when I poured water into it from a bottle. No more sloshing after a heavy rain.

Side note, before this maybe 2007-2008 the roof leaked and drenched the rug but it was under warranty. Good thing I looked into it myself this time as it was simple to do; probably canned air would work just as well as long as you seal the hole to prevent air from escaping.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Banned

and you verified that it runs outside by the tire huh.
if u blow the hose off it will drain ,,into the headliner,even if u pour a bottle in!

u need to park,uphill to check the rear drains

Old 07-01-2011, 06:41 PM

Yup; drains by the front wheel well just fine. Since no rain has actually leaked into the H3 I will hold off checking the rears. Hopefully the sloshing around as I take off after a heavy rain is already solved. If it continues the rears are next.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:32 PM

I hate to say that I just joined the water leakage club...

Having the Hummer since last December we had the last days some heavy rains and today I found the floor soaked in water.

At least I find in the forum a lot of help to maybe solve the issue soon.

For me is this like a nightmare because one of the main reasons of selling my last car and changing to the H3 was a water leakage in the trunk...

Old 07-02-2011, 04:03 AM

Smal update after today fast and first check....

Seems to be like in 99% of the cases the front draining pipes...
Water could not drain!
I removed the A-pilar covers, removed the sun visors and lowered the head liner slightly so that I could come to the drain pipe where it is pluged to the sun roof.
The rubber connectors are just pushed on the pipe ...no clamps..nothing.
Today I just pushed them after air pressure cleaning back but there will be a next time when I will add some clamps to secure it properly!
The left side was after a little bit water and air pressuer fine and runs like I asume it should be.
The right side runs not so good...I would say only 50%. Seems like this special valve at the end under the inner fender cover is clocked. So next time I will remove the inner fender covers and change the pipe to an open end without this valve...

Smells like some work to do....but first 3 weeks of holidays....time to plan the job...

Happy independance day!

Old 02-07-2012, 02:10 PM

As of 3 hours ago I have the portable shower in my H3...Whoopee. After reading the posts here I think I'm ready to fix the problem.

Now about 90 minutes later I tried the pipe cleaners...not much gunk. Compressed air turned the water to ice...so I don't know if that was a good idea or not.

Maybe I'll go to the pharmacy and buy a fleet enema...that should clear out the sh*t. ;-)

Last edited by geeggee; 02-07-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Default Moonroof leak great fix

Get screen door spline .175 guage. Use a plastic straw like from Starbucks to feed the spline down the drain holes. Catheter like. The spline is stiff and has a nice small hole in the center to which you insert the small straw from a can of compressed air. Insert about 2 and a half feet of spline down the drain holes and let loose with the compressed air can. That did it for me. The spline is serrated and if you twist it around a bit it grabs the crud like a rotor rooter.

I also put a few straw fulls of Clorox down the drain holes and reemed them out a bit with 2 pipe cleaners hooked together to give me more length. Pulled out a lot of crud. The crud is mold and mildew which collects in the track...dries and flakes...then gets caught in the drain holes causing the clog. Wipe down the track without removing the lithium grease. you'll see a lot of mold on the paper towels. Throughly wipe as much of the moonroof sealing gasket as possible to remove the built up crud.

After doing those steps the drains function like new.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:00 PM

I'm knocking on wood as I type this but I have never had a drop of water leak into mine. Of course, I have only opened the roof about twice. I rarely even slide the cover back. When I was living in SoCal it was just too dang hot! Since I have been in TX, it has still be hot but torrential rains too. So far, so good. At least I know what to check if something does come up.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Banned

be assured they all leak,all the time. thats what the drain is for. if you dont open it dirt will build up and the rubber will go bad. then you get real trouble.

i open as often as i can and air it out.
i rub the rubber,and mating metal with silicon grease routinely.
i pour water thru when i can and plan to use a flush in better weather.

use it or loose it!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 PM

Just found this forum.

I have an 06 H3 with a leaky sun roof. Twice it was taken care of by the dealer under warranty. Sunday night left the H3 outside and we had a frog strangler. Monday morning find a 1 inch of water on the front passenger side floor. Took it the dealer for oil change and a couple small items. Service writer says yeah the water leak is a problem on the H3's. He calls and states $412 dollars to fix problem. Th won't cover because its out of warranty by 15 months.
waiting to hear from GM customer service wether they will cover it. Has anyone else had it out of warranty covered?

luv2fly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: leaking moon roof, surprise surprise