PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Gas Cap Tether Removal/Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Default Gas Cap Tether Removal/Swap

Does anyone here know how to remove the tether from the gas cap for use on a replacement locking cap? A search of Google has been useless and the only topic on the subject here is unclear.

What I'd like to know is what's the trick for removing it from the gas cap. If that's not possible, how is it attached to the plastic funnel and how can I completely disconnect it and keep it and the cap for future use.

Thanks!

H34me

Old 02-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Default RE: Gas Cap Tether Removal/Swap

I know on the plastic funnel end there is like an arrow like tipat the end of the teather and you squeeze this with needle pliers and the teather will pull through the funnel part.
Of course you have the remove the plastic funnel part itself first.

I never tried to remove it from the cap itself.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:40 AM

My dad has a 2004 Chevy truck and for christmas one year I bought him a locking gas cap. He ran into the same problem but he eneded up just cutting it off. I guess it depends how bad you want to keep it on how you remove it.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Very easy. Follow steps 1 &3 of the installation instructions I posted for the Chrome fuel door hearfuel door cover . The teather is easy to remove with the plastic cup off. Then just reverse, push the plastic cup bacj on w/o the tether.

Wish I could type. [&o]

Old 02-14-2008, 06:24 PM

remove gas cap from filler neck and pull outwards on the plastic "funnel". It should pop right out from the fender revealing the teather end for easy removal.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:54 PM

BMJM100, bluezgo, Doc Olds, and HummerMike... You guys are the greatest! Thanks for the feedback and the excellent instructions on how to do this. I knew that with all the knowledge around here that someone would help keep me from messing up my truck.

All the best.

H34me

Old 02-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

That's part of what we are hear for.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:24 PM

Yes sir 3hummers. Awesome place we have here. Helped me decide to buy a Hummer and then helps keeps me from destroying it.

Never ceases to amaze me that no matter how obscure the question someone has an answer. Who knew WD40 was good for removing the dealer sticker. Stuff like that's been invaluable.

H34me

Old 02-14-2008, 11:33 PM

ORIGINAL: H34me

BMJM100, bluezgo, Doc Olds, and HummerMike... You guys are the greatest! Thanks for the feedback and the excellent instructions on how to do this. I knew that with all the knowledge around here that someone would help keep me from messing up my truck.

All the best.

H34me
No problem, mine was probably the laziest way to do it and the wrong way if you want to put the strap back on later. I do kinda wish Hummer put some kind of a hook or something to latch the cap on to. I have an aftermarket locking gas cap cover on it now so when I fill it up (which is often) I worry about scratching it with the gas cap. I know it sounds lame but I don't mind scratching and dinging it when I'm doing something with it but scratching it with the gas cap or a door ding would send me over the line.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:43 AM

Hehe I can relate. There are those "good" war wounds that you earned the hard way or were totally unavoidable. Then there are those stupid ones where you slap your palm on your forehead, say WTF was I thinking, and stay pissed at yourself for a long time. [:@]

H34me

Quick Reply: Gas Cap Tether Removal/Swap