PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Keyless entry clickers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Default Keyless entry clickers?

Mine isn't working...
I changed the battery and still nothing.

Dealership wants me to buy a new clicker AND pay $50 to get it programmed...
Do they just "die" like this?

Old 12-01-2011, 11:45 AM

Ouch. I found a couple old remotes from previous vehicles.. One from a 2004 Chevy Avalanche which wasn't compatible and one from a '99 Jeep Cherokee that the dealership programmed for free. I thought it curious that a fob from a 5 year older Chevy truck didn't work, but a 10 year older Jeep did.

If your current remote really is broke, my suggestion is to hit up ebay for a compatible remote and find a dealership to program it for free. Took the guy all of 2 minutes start to finish. They charged me like $10 or $15 to cut a spare key, which seems way overpriced, but with free programming of the remote I can't complain.

To answer your question, I've never had a remote completely die where a new battery didn't fix it, but ultimately anything can break.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by skeptic
Ouch. I found a couple old remotes from previous vehicles.. One from a 2004 Chevy Avalanche which wasn't compatible and one from a '99 Jeep Cherokee that the dealership programmed for free. I thought it curious that a fob from a 5 year older Chevy truck didn't work, but a 10 year older Jeep did.

If your current remote really is broke, my suggestion is to hit up ebay for a compatible remote and find a dealership to program it for free. Took the guy all of 2 minutes start to finish. They charged me like $10 or $15 to cut a spare key, which seems way overpriced, but with free programming of the remote I can't complain.

To answer your question, I've never had a remote completely die where a new battery didn't fix it, but ultimately anything can break.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I guess you're right anything can break. Just sucks having vehicles much older than my 07 H3 with clickers still goin strong lol

Old 12-01-2011, 12:26 PM

Don't know if you're contemplating a remote starter or not, but, the fob for that operates everything your OEM fob does. I don't even use my OEM's anymore. Take the $100 bucks for a new fob, and put it towards the remote starter.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:16 PM

Ebay.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Xlr8n
Ebay.
The price of the clicker isn't what bothers me.

It's the $50 to get it programmed that sucks lol

Old 12-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Banned

i paid 25 once. the next time another dealer did it free. shop,shop,shop!

Old 12-01-2011, 06:17 PM

I know the following programming info worked on most of the GM fobs up through 2008 or so including many models that were supposed to be 'dealer only'. Might give it a try:

1 SIT IN VEHICLE AND CLOSE DOOR

2 HOLD FINGER DOWN ON POWER DOOR UNLOCK SWITCH ON DRIVERS DOOR.

3 put key in ignition, TURN IGNITION ON / OFF , ON / OFF.LEAVE KEY IN IGNITION.(DO NOT START VEHICLE, ON POSITION IS THE POSITION BEFORE START)

4 RELEASE FINGER FROM POWER DOOR LOCK.POWER DOOR LOCKS WILL CYCLE.(JUMP UP AND DOWN)

5 PRESS AND HOLD BOTH THE LOCK AND UNLOCK BUTTONS ON NEW REMOTE UNTILL YOU HEAR POWER DOOR LOCKS CYCLE.(JUMP UP AND DOWN) YOU MAY HAVE TO HOLD BOTH BUTTONS DOWN FOR 5- 20 SECONDS.

6 TAKE 2ND NEW , OR OLD REMOTE AND HOLD BOTH UNLOCK AND LOCK BUTTONS DOWN UNTILL LOCKS CYCLE.(MAY TAKE 5- 20 SECONDS)

7 TURN KEY ON, THEN OFF.
YOU ARE DONE, EXIT VEHICLE AND TRY YOUR REMOTE."

Last edited by Xlr8n; 12-01-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Banned

Have fun, try it 10 times,,,then tomorrow got find a dealer,,,its the only way,,,been there,,,

Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Xlr8n
I know the following programming info worked on most of the GM fobs up through 2008 or so including many models that were supposed to be 'dealer only'. Might give it a try:

1 SIT IN VEHICLE AND CLOSE DOOR

2 HOLD FINGER DOWN ON POWER DOOR UNLOCK SWITCH ON DRIVERS DOOR.

3 put key in ignition, TURN IGNITION ON / OFF , ON / OFF.LEAVE KEY IN IGNITION.(DO NOT START VEHICLE, ON POSITION IS THE POSITION BEFORE START)

4 RELEASE FINGER FROM POWER DOOR LOCK.POWER DOOR LOCKS WILL CYCLE.(JUMP UP AND DOWN)

5 PRESS AND HOLD BOTH THE LOCK AND UNLOCK BUTTONS ON NEW REMOTE UNTILL YOU HEAR POWER DOOR LOCKS CYCLE.(JUMP UP AND DOWN) YOU MAY HAVE TO HOLD BOTH BUTTONS DOWN FOR 5- 20 SECONDS.

6 TAKE 2ND NEW , OR OLD REMOTE AND HOLD BOTH UNLOCK AND LOCK BUTTONS DOWN UNTILL LOCKS CYCLE.(MAY TAKE 5- 20 SECONDS)

7 TURN KEY ON, THEN OFF.
YOU ARE DONE, EXIT VEHICLE AND TRY YOUR REMOTE."
Gonna give this a shot. Hell, it won't hurt to try.

Quick Reply: Keyless entry clickers?