PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Default Intermittent Electrical issue

To start out ill give you some history of the vehicle.
2007 H3 W/ adventure package
90,000 miles
very little off-roading done (hence my handle)

Three months ago i go out to my H3 road warrior and it wont start when im trying to get to work. Battery isnt dead. so i just take the negative cable off and hard reset everything. hook it back up and im in business.

A few days after that my wife comes home from driving it and the key is stuck in the ignition. im thinking wtf. i walk out there and pull it right out. i thought she was crazy. next morning it wont start again. i notice there are two lights going off in the panel the engine light and a yellow car and lock symbol. ( passive lock symbol). i strugle with it for a few minutes and try to do a hard reset and when i go to start it up i put the key in the ignition and go to crank it and all the gauges and radio and warning light start going crazy. and it still wont start. i get pissed and slam the door... the freller starts to act right again.

i drive it this way for three months with this problem coming and going. i learn how to relearn a key to the passive lock system ( this works sometimes... Turning the key on and off in 10 sec intervals) i hard reset the rig, and when all else fails i slam the door( this surprisingly works wonders).

One week ago i was driving it home from work the parking brake light, traction control light, error message , TSM service waring, came on and off... then all the gauges reset and the dash light went out. all the while the radio was on wide open. and when i get home it want start.

i did some reading and found a thread on a different site that someone was having a similar issue and it turn out to be the BCM ( body control module)... but i dont think this is my problem because the BCM has nothing to do with the parking brake and traction control lights( i found a image online with a diagram of the BMC wiring)

i am ready to set it on fire

any wrench turner out there with some advice?.... ( should i start the fire from within or put a rag in the gas fill and run...jk)

thanks,
TrailorQueenH3

Old 10-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Do you still have the POS OEM battery terminals????

If so, hack/cut them off NOW and replace them with a quality aftermarket set, like Stingers.
Name:  DSC02244.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  147.7 KB

PCMs are very sensitive to minor changes in voltage, like from the crappy OEM battery terminals that are known to make less than optimal connections with the battery posts. Replacement terminals are easy and pretty cheap ($30-75 you pick the brand) and should be one of the first things done to rule out that potential problem way before you get to BCM issues.

You can search it out, there are many threads here and at other H forums covering this issue.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 10-11-2012 at 11:34 AM.