PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instructions for mounting roof lights???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 08:06 PM

Thanks, but I have enough trouble with English instructions, I'm sure I couldn't do it in German. Unless maybe I was drinking German beer....

I'm joking, I assume if you register you can download the instructions in multilanguage format?

Old 05-22-2010, 12:25 AM

With the help of Jesus I was able to get to the registration page once there you can switch it to english. I got the instructions they are in all English so no worries. The instructions are on roof lamp markers I don't know if that install is different from the off road lights.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:40 AM

Oh, I am sorry, I thought you were looking for the instructions to install the roof marker lights, obviously I have to improve my english-skills ;-)

I would choose a different installation for offroad lights....

Old 05-25-2010, 05:12 PM

Got the ebay light bar, as advertised it is brand new, includes the light covers and attached wiring harness. I found a post on another forum that goes through the installation, seems pretty straightforward. However, the "installation kit" that didn't come with mine seems to be a bit elusive. The other post shows the kit, with number 25531 clearly printed on it. Hummer dealer can't identify this kit (incomplete part number?).

Kit includes the switch, rivnuts for mounting, screws, covers, template, the works.

With this I think I'd be all set, without it I'm not sure I want to attempt it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Old 05-25-2010, 05:20 PM

From what I can make out in the kit:

The switch is available from the dealer, but it was about $35
Fuse, tie straps available anywhere
Rivet nuts, screws and install tool available at McMaster Carr www.mcmaster.com
Wire harness you'll have to make
Black screw covers.....I think you're out of luck

I came close to buying the other one he was selling, but I was afraid this is what was going to happen. Good luck

Old 05-25-2010, 07:11 PM

If you decide you don't want to try to piece it together, I'll buy it from you for what you have in it and a little boot. Really though, you should be able to get it done pretty easily.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:41 PM

Identified the black screw covers, part number 19153917, should be a package of 6, list price $16.

Radio Shack lighted switch will work, wiring won't be an issue.

I'm still struggling a bit with the thought of installing the rivnuts, I've read a horror story or two but it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I'm considering going with the Recon smoked marker lights instead, much smaller holes to drill.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:33 AM

The install is really pretty easy, I actually found the directions hard to follow so just kind of used common sense at least until I came to the wiring, then I had to use the directions. I just looked everywhere and cant find them now, probably threw them away after I was finished.

Attached Thumbnails Instructions for mounting roof lights???-truck2a.jpg  
Old 05-27-2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by HumbleAg
Identified the black screw covers, part number 19153917, should be a package of 6, list price $16.

Radio Shack lighted switch will work, wiring won't be an issue.

I'm still struggling a bit with the thought of installing the rivnuts, I've read a horror story or two but it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I'm considering going with the Recon smoked marker lights instead, much smaller holes to drill.
Rivnuts are great....I have all sizes and materials, and a hydraulic hand tool for installing them, and have used them in many applications. They do have their place, though. If you need to be able to take something apart repeatedly, they can't be beat. But, these lights will stay put, so they're really not necessary. Drawbacks are: they require a much larger hole then just a sheet metal screw. They don't sit flush with the mounting surface, so whatever you're attaching won't sit flush unless there's clearance for the Rivnut head. If not installed with the correct compression, they will spin when you try to remove the screw (under compressed), or strip the threads out (over compressed), and you're screwed ! They're not cheap. If you DO decide to use them, I suggest not using the cheap tool they show in the kit. These make it very difficult to apply the correct compression, for a permanent fit. They make a tool that looks/works just like a blind rivet tool. Spend the extra cash and get that....it will be worth it in the long run!

Old 05-27-2010, 04:22 PM

I have some experience with the roof marker lights which mount very similar to the off-road lights. Back in December my windshield cracked, got the H3 to a glass shop and said they could not get the lights off, three rivnuts were spinning. I took it back home.

I ended up prying them out (since I needed to do a state inspection the same week). I later found out an impact wrench may have worked. Luckily the two end rivnuts and one of the center ones were OK.

I ended up plugging the 3 holes with plastic plugs and used anti-sieze on the three remaining bolts. I always planned to take it apart and replace the rivnuts but since I dimpled the sheet metal a little, I wasn't sure if the new ones would attach correctly.

I added a strip of silicone adhesive to the front bottom of the plate and put everything back together when it was 20deg and snowing out.

The adhesive lasted until April when I was on the highway doing 75mph into a 35mph headwind. I ended up with the noise a lot of owners mentioned. I cleaned it all up and put exterior grade double sided tape on the bottom front of the light bar.

I found plastic plugs at Ace Hardware that are the same diameter as the bolt hole covers in the kit. They have to be cut down to be used in the end locations and need to be glued in. I used black silicone adhesive which lets them be removed. The OEM covers fit loose and seem to disapear.

So anyway, you could get buy with just drilling 3 holes. Make sure you put high quality double sided tape to mount the front of the light bar to the windshield strip. Use anti-sieze on the bolts.

So far it has held up fine.

Mike

06 Hummer H3 Lux/Adventure (The school bus)

Quick Reply: Instructions for mounting roof lights???