PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing An Oil Pressure Gauge In H3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Default Installing An Oil Pressure Gauge In H3?

As some of you may know, I recently lost my engine due to not realizing that my oil pressure was low. The low oil pressure idiot light came on and then immediately my engine starts knocking, no time to even pull off the road to see what was wrong before my engine was ruined.

So, I now have a brand new engine installed and I don't want that stuff to ever happen again!

Has anyone installed an oil pressure gauge in their H3? Mine is a 2006.

Any recommendations of brand, place to install it, any advice, etc. etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Wynter

Old 09-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Banned
Default a little help

over the years i added a stewart warner mechanical guage to a string of ford vans. similar kits are available at auto stores. here is what i did,and the "catches"
i removed the idiot lite sending unit,screwed in a brass "t" that the sending unit went back into to restore normal operation,then i connected the new guage tubing to the other port on the "t". i then had both lite and guage.

catches include,space available, and the proper brass fittings.
if i start the project i will first see if autozone,etc has a h3 sending unit. if so i would see if they have a brass "t" that fit that unit. im concerned about the threads.
if that works i would buy the "t" and at oil change time i would see if it would fit,space permitting,with the sending unit in it. then i need to add the new guage,tubing,etc.
the sending unit on h3 is above the oil filter,as i see it, and i am wide open to advice from anyone who dunnit! b4 me.

oh,,,love the name wynter,,,read a novel with a "winter" in it!

Old 09-09-2011, 02:08 PM

I would suggest going with an electronic gauge instead of the mechanical. I've seen/heard some real horror stories about the oil line coming off the back of the gauge......guess where ALL that oil gets pumped to.

Last edited by Broken Halo; 09-09-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Banned

I do know how to hook em up!!. with that tiny copper tubing it would take all day to get a wet foot!!

actually i trust the mechanical accuracy, unless they are making a really good electronic one.
regardless the plumbing has to be figgered , metric?,npt?

i may see what az has.
where to put it is another issue.
i dont think it would have saved the blown engine,,quik failure!
ive been watching my 95 pont go down slowly, it may blow tomorrow!! we usually let it go,,,too long.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by drtom
I do know how to hook em up!!. with that tiny copper tubing it would take all day to get a wet foot!!
I have no doubt you do......BUT, unless you don't ever plan on taking your H3 to the stealership for warranty work, where some kid is poking around up under the dash for whatever.....need I say more!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Banned

yeah,you really must double check anything someone else touches. so,,we pump our own gas!!

hey fwiw i definetly am planning an auto headlite dimmer,light sensor,control hi,/lo relay. i remember an uncle who amazed me with one on an olds 88 back in the 50's!!,dont see that much these days.
i have cds cells that go from 10k/100k ohms in room light so im messing with circuit concept. later

Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 AM
rsc

Taking the pressure from the sensor by the filter sounds like a good place. I would be wondering what the line pressure there is? It should be a good steady/reliable reading but I wonder what the pressure there is and if it corresponds to what we are trying to measure. For example, I had a Kawi motorcycle that I'm sure ran a much higher pressure at the bearing journals but where the maintenance manual had you measure pressure for diagnostics it was only around 5-8 psi! I doubt that a 3.8 qt system that revved that high was only making 5 psi in the high stress areas like the crank or cams but that was what the oil pressure was at that particular point for measuring. Another example would be an old MG I had that showed 30psi on the guage when cold and around fluctuated between 5-15 when hot. Unfortunately it was a high pressure system and should have read 45-50 when cold and 20-25 when hot. Had I known what the range should have been I would have known what was about to happen, all I knew was that I had a steady oil pressure on the guage. I guess you could take a measurement at the sender on a new(ish) motor and use that as a reference point for an older or suspect motor.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Banned

[QUOTEtake a measurement at the sender on a new(ish) motor and use that as a reference point for an older or suspect motor.
][/quote] sounds good

i dont know what to expect on the 3.7. my 460 was over 50 for years(over 100k) and later dropped to 20/30 in gear at idle. i was ok with that. seems to me,gm used to say 10 lb per 1000rpm. 40 at 4000 didnt sound good to me, i like a lot!

how about the light auto dimmer? any interest,any ideas?
im figguring an adjustable delay,sensitivity,and a tube to sheild to start. then test with an led b4 flicking lites in oncoming eyes!

well im on break doing a block retaining wall,great sat project,bak 2 work

oh the pressure there is usually max, right off the pump

Last edited by drtom; 09-10-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:55 PM

how about the light auto dimmer? any interest,any ideas?
im figguring an adjustable delay,sensitivity,and a tube to sheild to start. then test with an led b4 flicking lites in oncoming eyes![/quote]

Not sure exactly what you're talking about. You mean something that would dim your brights automatically when it senses oncoming traffic?

Old 09-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Banned

a light sensitive circuit that does the same thing as pulling back on the ts stick to get brights on ,then drop them when the oncoming is busy.

Quick Reply: Installing An Oil Pressure Gauge In H3?