PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed a JET maf sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Default Installed a JET maf sensor

Hey guys,
I've sorta new hear. I have searched the threads for a long time but recently joined. I have an 06 h3 adventure with 125k. After trying many things to sqeeze some more power out if it ... k&n filter, widening the air opening in the fenderwell, JET power chip ( waste of money, never worked). I am reporting that my new JET maf sensor helped a little with this slugish beast. I paid $165 for it and i feel it was worth it. It gets rid of some of the lag in excelleration and holds the rpms higher for longer before shifting.
I see alot of people on here go with the PCM for less deal. I decided to do the same and will have it by the 14th. They programed it to work with my new MAF sensor.Can't wait, if it helps as much as you all say it does then I should be pleased.
One problem I keep getting is a cil for lean bank 1. now i've searched this forum high and low for some usefull answers on this but havnt found out anything i havnt already done. I replaced both o2 sensors, cleaned my MAF (the stock unit), but still am at a loss. the only other thing i can think of is that the cat is on its way out.
the cil will pop up then go out on its own, sometimes i clear it out myself with the scan tool. I am seriously thinking about ordering up one of those shorty header units to replace it. It's a much cheaper option then going with OEM part for it.
Anybody have any insight on my problem/solution?
I am sorta seasoned in the hummer h3 area, had it for about 3 yrs and packed on 60k. replaced sooooo many parts. but cant get rid of this damn lean bank 1 code.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:45 AM

Cool!

Chris

Old 05-11-2013, 07:30 AM
Default i red about it here

OBD-II DTC: P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)

a wild guess is all the messing around with a pretty good factory setup!
good luck

later I went here and did some reading,
http://www.gmtruckhq.com/diagnostic-...-2-a-3934.html

interesting to see how the computer compensates for any attempt to increase airflow by simply adding more gas to keep the air/fuel ratio at optimum of 14.7.
most results of airflow mods give a quicker response to pedal push,more air/more gas but no real power boost!
so it looks like all that mod money could be spent on gas and then just hit the pedal harder to go fast!

Last edited by happythree; 05-11-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:52 AM

hanks for the info happythree! some good stuff there. But if the factory setup was so good, modt people on here wouldnt be trying to mess with it to get more power from their h3's. the setup is good in that it maintains proper levels of fuel trim,etc. But not in the sense that we are robbed of crucial horsepower for these heavy underpowered beast.
now that i think about it to lean cood never started till i added the JET power chip to the pcm ( could be coincidence). but the JET power chip has never worked for me, i should just remove it and see what happens. I know it's not the stock or new MAF because it was there before and after those. I'm getting my new pcm in hte mail in a couple of days anyways so when i swap it over the old JET chip will come out also.
hopefully that fixes my problem but i have a feeling it wont. Really i just need a good excuse to buy that shorty header replacement. Hoping its the cat thats gone bad. Thats an easier fix then a bad fuel pump.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:29 AM

if you keep making changes b4 you end the problem you will compound the diagnosis and never fix it.
backing up and restoring the system as much to original may be the only way.

then too with 125k,a lot has happened.

btw,i think the h3 has plenty of go. I just hit the gas and cant really floor it so unless you're making 1/4 mile runs how much do you need!

Last edited by happythree; 05-11-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:21 AM

no 1/4 mile runs hear. i just want better excelleration. I AWAYS get stuck behind slow people ( alot of pruis's )and passing people needs to be well planned with alot of room. even going up steep hills sucks. its hard enough to maintain a constant speed up the hills let alone gain any. Im not worried about going super fast, it can go fast enough, it's just how quick it gets there. I know the h3 is no speed demon and thats not why i bought it. i just want better excelleration ,thats all.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:25 AM

Happythree, is your rig the alpha? cuz if so that is a big diff between mine and yours. mine isnt and the I5 is slow to me.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:57 AM

nope,i5 3.7 and id trade some horses for more mpg! I wonder if a "tune" would go that direction?

Old 05-11-2013, 11:19 AM

huh, well i know the 3.7 had about 20 more hp then the 3.5. maybe thats why your happy with the power. I know the pcmfor less deal is supposed to give more hp, not sure if it boost the mpgs. i would assume you could boost it somehow. I dont like the mpg's but i've learned to deal with them. if i can get more hp and keep the same mpg's ill be happy.