PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

ImportKiller, my bad mileage, and "Lightbar 2.0"

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default ImportKiller, my bad mileage, and "Lightbar 2.0"

Well, I drove through a full tank without the infamous lightbar. I was excited to see that I got 325 miles and the gas light wasn't on yet. Usually it was coming on around 300 to 310.

Unbeknownst to me, that was short-lived.

I don't know what I've been on, but I calculated my mileage after a fill up. It was 19.7 Gallons and 325.1 miles. It turns out even without the light bar, driving 50% highway and 50% stop and go basically, I only got 16.5 MPG. I guess this is average, but I was expecting more. I kept it around 70 on the highway, so the subtraction of the light bar would only affect highway driving as far as I can figure out. This means that before, I was probably only getting around 14 to 15 MPG.

The other factor also is most of the driving was when it was between -5 and +5 degrees, so that could have affected it also. I guess considering all of the factors, 16.5 MPG in those conditions isn't too bad compared to what other people get, but I expected more.

Another factor is there was half 91 octane and half 87 because I filled up after the temps dropped, plus the injector cleaner. Now I have a full tank of 87 so we'll see with this new tank what the mileage is. I already drove 50 miles with the new tank and noticed the needle again is just hitting the first F mark.

The temps are supposed to go into the 40's starting tomorrow (yes, that's Chicago weather for you, 5 degrees to 40 in 2 days) so, we'll see what affect this plays plus having a full tank of one octane. I'll know by Wednesday when the tank runs down. I'm hoping it will go up because the temps will be warmer and I don't have a mish mosh of different crap in my tank.

IF the mileage goes up with these factors, I'm going to lower the front end back to stock again, and see if that helps. I know that's a long shot, but I'm just curious if that really does affect it.

If it doesn't go up significantly though, I'm putting the light bar back on next weekend after the roof rails get replaced. This time, I'm going to put the lights about an inch or two back so the air flow will perhaps go over the bar from the windshield deflection.

So, there's my report. Today I'm going to re-wire the light bar, make it look clean, and order some new lights steel coil-wrapped wiring to replace the cheapy ones I have. IF, for some reason, I decide the mileage is enough to warrant not putting them back on, I'll sell the re-wired, ready to install light bar to a lucky person I deem worthy of my hard work [sm=happybounce.gif] So, start kissing my butt now [sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 02-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Default RE: ImportKiller, my bad mileage, and "Lightbar 2.0"

I usually get between 14-15 mpg in the city with no light bar, stock rims/tires,and with the stock stance (not torsion bar adjustments).

Old 02-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Well then I might not be doing too bad, but with the PCM tune, I thought I'd be getting more. I did once before, but maybe it's just the tempchanges, or that it's getting older. I'm at 31k miles already, but that shouldn't affect anything.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:49 PM
JM

Mike, buddy you're loosing your time.
The real factor is speed.and city driving.
below my numbers:
steady speed 75 +/- 320 miles
steady speed 90 +/- 260 miles
city +/- 280 miles
mix city 40/ hgwy60 +/- 300 miles

Old 02-18-2007, 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: JM

Mike, buddy you're loosing your time.
The real factor is speed.and city driving.
below my numbers:
steady speed 75 +/- 320 miles
steady speed 90 +/- 260 miles
city +/- 280 miles
mix city 40/ hgwy60 +/- 300 miles

Your city miles are right on target with what I usuallyaverage per tank.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

I guess my expectations are too high then. The PCM tune seemed to be getting me better mileage in the beginning but JM, I think your figures are pretty much exactly what mine usually are.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Since my wife has been sleeping most of the day, I decided to go ahead and "fix" the light bar so that it doesn't look so, uh, cheap. So, here are some pics:

Before:

Name:  Hummer11.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  90.8 KB

Re-wiring:

Hiding the wires inside (instead of taped to the front):

AND, the final product:

Name:  DSC02883.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  77.6 KB
Name:  DSC02884.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  74.3 KB

Now, instead of using the bar as Ground, the lights have their own dedicated ground wire, everything soldered and shrink-tubed.

Now I need to find a clear anti-oxidant or rust stopper to put on the brackets. The bar itself is polished stainless-steel, but apparently they failed to mention that the brackets aren't. I don't know why you would make something that is half and half, but oh well.

Even if it doesn't go back on the H3 (which I'm pretty sure it will now) it will find a home with someone else. I have to admit though, I don't get half the looks I once did, plus the whole bling factor of the H3 just isn't the same without it. Even HummBob cant touch this add-on [sm=bling.gif]

Old 02-18-2007, 08:07 PM

Looks good Mike.You definitely have to do something about that rust though.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:10 PM

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/DSC02883.jpg
is that wood paneling that you put on your ps2?!?
Good work touching up the light bar, it looks like a well finished product now

Old 02-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

It's actually an Atari 2600 skin [sm=signs007.gif]

Quick Reply: ImportKiller, my bad mileage, and "Lightbar 2.0"