PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Ignition issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:47 PM
Default Ignition issues

Hey guys, went out and noticed my battery was dead again, After charging it i noticed the my key was turned on enough to make the radio/lights turn on. Has anyone else had any ignition issues? Could this be the same issue with all the other GM cars with ignition issues?

Old 02-12-2015, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kramcard6
Hey guys, went out and noticed my battery was dead again, After charging it i noticed the my key was turned on enough to make the radio/lights turn on. Has anyone else had any ignition issues? Could this be the same issue with all the other GM cars with ignition issues?
Same as other GM issues????? Not even close.

What are you charging the battery with and what does the key have to do with charging? I am sorry I just do not understand what you are trying to describe as the "issue".

Any electrical component can short or fail. If the key is in the off position, everything should be off (after RAP expires or until a door is opened). If something remains on, then you may have an issue. Do you have an OEM radio? Try turning the radio off before shutting the truck off.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:47 AM

Are you saying you leave your keys in the ignition of your truck, and found it dead with the key turned forward, radio and lights on?

If so, I think your situation is pretty obvious.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Same as other GM issues????? Not even close.

What are you charging the battery with and what does the key have to do with charging? I am sorry I just do not understand what you are trying to describe as the "issue".

Any electrical component can short or fail. If the key is in the off position, everything should be off (after RAP expires or until a door is opened). If something remains on, then you may have an issue. Do you have an OEM radio? Try turning the radio off before shutting the truck off.
Charged my battery with a battery charger, The switch has everything to do with it, it's not locking and causing everything to still have juice so things like the radio and lights are draining the power from the battery. Yes i've got OEM Radio, i powered if off but the battery is still dead by the next day if it's not driven. I took it by the dealer and he said it's the switch. You can just barely touch it and it will turn on or off.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kramcard6
Charged my battery with a battery charger, The switch has everything to do with it, it's not locking and causing everything to still have juice so things like the radio and lights are draining the power from the battery. Yes i've got OEM Radio, i powered if off but the battery is still dead by the next day if it's not driven. I took it by the dealer and he said it's the switch. You can just barely touch it and it will turn on or off.
OK, now I get it.

H3 Ignition switch problems happen, they either get goobered up with crud and do not work properly, or the short out in some fashion, often leading to passlock problems. Good thing is they are pretty easy to fix.

I like the Battery Tender Plus for charging, I have several for stored vehicles and a two bank for boat.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:54 PM

yeah can't wait to see how much the dealer is going to charge to fix it

Old 02-13-2015, 04:00 PM

Hey kramcard6
I have the same issue. The ignition on my 2007 is very touchy. I first found out coming out of a store and my radio was playing with no key in. I can turn power on just moving it with my finger(not start just power). I haven't fixed it yet but made a little gizmo to get me by. A thin piece of aluminum in a T shape that will slide in the ignition. On the T part drilled a hole and put some thin wire thru. I then tied a heavy bolt to the wire. When I take out my key I insert the gizmo. With the weight of the bolt it stops ignition from moving upwards. I know I have to get this fixed just haven't got around to it.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by LEAFS
Hey kramcard6
I have the same issue. The ignition on my 2007 is very touchy. I first found out coming out of a store and my radio was playing with no key in. I can turn power on just moving it with my finger(not start just power). I haven't fixed it yet but made a little gizmo to get me by. A thin piece of aluminum in a T shape that will slide in the ignition. On the T part drilled a hole and put some thin wire thru. I then tied a heavy bolt to the wire. When I take out my key I insert the gizmo. With the weight of the bolt it stops ignition from moving upwards. I know I have to get this fixed just haven't got around to it.
Call GM and get a case number, see if they'll fix it for ya, mine goes in the shop on Monday

Old 02-13-2015, 10:18 PM

So they are fixing no cost to you?. I have checked for a recall but nothing for our trucks

Old 02-14-2015, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by LEAFS
So they are fixing no cost to you?. I have checked for a recall but nothing for our trucks
Won't know until Monday morning when they look at it, One dealer said they have replaced about 25 at no cost. Check with your dealer and find out if they'll check yours or repair it at no cost

Quick Reply: Ignition issues