PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

i need help with my h3 transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:45 PM
Default i need help with my h3 transfer case

the problem that i have is when i am driving my hummer after 10 minutes my 4x4 or transfer case start acting like the 4 hi moves to neutral and then i have to pull over before i crash and then i have to switch it to 4hi lock and then it will work again with the 4hi lock but i feel that 4hi lock it just for 40 miles or less to drive the vehicle so i went to the dealership and then we drove it for a little while and it was working just fine without any problems but after 3 days later is was doing the same problem i am not so sure if is something that is was to be with the electric or that i need to replace something in the transfer case and for some how after using the hummer it start smelling that something is burning under neat the vehicle where the transfer case is located please i need some help

Old 03-04-2011, 12:25 PM

You should not be driving in 4hi lock unless you are on slippery roads. Driving in 4hi lock on paved roads (barring snow & ice) can cause a variety of damage. Maybe I misunderstood your description.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Default 4x4problem

Thanks for the advice of not using 4hi lock but the main problem is based on the regular 4 hi the one you use to drive at the streets and freeways is that when I am driving my hummer in daily drive it seems to be that when I am running around 40 and 50 miles per hour it seems to be or it feels that insted been in in 4 hi it moves to neutral and my gears won't respond any more so that is why I have to pull over and use the 4 hi lock because it I put back into 4 hi it will work but just a bit like 2 miles and then start falling again and there is no way to make it move since the gears are not responded I am not so sure what can be pls a need your help thankyou Carlos

Old 03-05-2011, 10:26 PM

How many miles on it, Carlos? I'm gonna guess that it's an early model, with the plastic shift fork in the t-case, and it's worn out...my H3 did the same things, jumping in & out of gear.

Then again, it acted the same way when my transmission went out, except that shifting the t-case made no difference...so if shifting to 4-hi or 4-low affects it, the problem would be a worn shift fork or it's bearing, or it could be that the electric shift motor isn't setting the gears properly.

Pretty easy to fix if you know your way around a t-case, I fixed mine & I'd never been in one before.

If you've got the time & tools, pull the t-case, crack it open & have a look inside...damage will usually be pretty obvious.

If it's under warranty, let the dealership deal with it.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 AM

T-case shift fork. Hope you're still under warranty.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Default t case

thankyou so much guys for the info i was suspecting the same since so many guys had the same problem