PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hummer H3 Transmission Line Connector at Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 12:48 PM
Question Hummer H3 Transmission Line Connector at Radiator

My transmission cooler line fitting came unthreaded from the radiator and I am trying to determine if it is possible to reconnect it to the transmission cooler that is inside of the radiator assembly? All of the parts stores that I have spoken with advise that I need a new radiator, which is what I would expect being that they are in the parts sales business. The threading on the fitting seems to be in good condition and not stripped in the least so I am hoping that I can somehow reconnect it and avoid the $300 for a new radiator.

Help please!

Old 10-24-2017, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Get under there and try tightening it. You have about a 50% chance you might get lucky and have the threads find the female connection inside.

GM speed clips are designed to never be replaced or turned for that matter, once somebody/something unscrews the quick clip, you have a problem.

Disconnect the line from the clip, then try turning the quick clip (line out of the way) with your fingers to see what you have.

Good luck.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:35 PM

I personally would not trust or chance it. You can get an exact replacement on eBay well under $100

Old 10-24-2017, 10:49 PM

I would be willing to chance it providing there is no coolant leak right now and you use a new fitting which are available. Some will argue, but I have replaced several of these on friends vehicles as well as my own and haven't had a problem, yet. That doesn't mean I am 100% confident there won't be a problem. It's easy, quick and cheap to change the fitting. Just make sure the fitting is tightened properly and check for leaks once in a while. That includes checking for mixing of coolant and transmission fluids in the radiator reservoir and transmission. So far I've done a couple of dozen with no problems. Some were done over 5 years ago. Just my opinion and if you are a worry wart, change the rad.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:08 AM

I would not chance it either.
Trans fluid mixed with antifreeze is a bad combo! $300 nor or $3,000 for a new transmission later?. I would change my transmission fluid completely while replacing the radiator.

But hey, it's your hard earned $. Roll the dice if you want.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:22 AM

After the trans cooler inside the radiator busted and cost me a new transmission, I went to an external cooler and never looked back. One less thing to have to worry about.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:12 PM

I never heard of the trans fluid mixing on a GM vehicle. I always thought it could happen, just haven't had anyone mention it. Good to know. I actually saved couple of Toyota transmissions by telling people to look under the hood once a week. They saw the mixed trans fluid with antifreeze, aka Pepto Bismol, in the radiator reservoir bottle.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:03 PM

I learned that after inverting the radiator, you can take the bottom "end cap" off. I used channel locks to carefully pry the taps back one by one until I had worked my way around. I then found the transmission fluid cooler sitting loose within the end cap. I could then hold it in place (after replacing the o-rings on the outer line fitting) and thread them back into the cooler and torque them down. Then replaced the end cap, bent the tabs back into place, and was back in action! Every parts shop and dealer I spoke to said that that could not be done and that once the cooler dropped off, the entire radiator assembly had to be replaced.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:08 PM

Photos of my solution

Old 11-13-2017, 05:04 PM
Default once a year award

the last guy showed us how to pull the alt from the top.
you are just as good!!

wish there was actually an award!!

NICE WORK.
wonder if i can replace the top cracked plastic from the old one i kept!??
i might try to remove it if its like your bottom...

the guys you talked to just never tried. today i called a gm dealer to see if i can get 2 radio , the same monsoon, to work in my h3. they dont know!!

Last edited by happythree; 11-13-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Hummer H3 Transmission Line Connector at Radiator