PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hummer H3 Recall by GM

Old 07-10-2015, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by ozark1
GM lists a phone number for Hummer. I called..Girl took my info. and VIN. Said letters will be going out. This is an EXPENSIVE repair if we have to pay for it. My '06 LUX. only has 29k miles, but it can happen anytime.. Members should contact dealers and stay on top of this..and report any progress...
Not denying what she told you, but I'm confused as to how this can be expensive..

I bought a resistor and wiring harness for 30 dollars brand new, installed it and repaired the burnt one for a backup. How much is the stealership charging for this entry level work?

Old 07-11-2015, 03:06 AM

This is not a complicated or expensive repair. It is a very simple DIY in fact. Maybe I can get a tutorial up for you guys, but it is simple nonetheless.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:25 AM
Cool

When I said "expensive"..I meant if an owner took the car to a dealer for the repair..and paid for it out of pocket..I would guess easily..$300 labor.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:04 AM

Costs much more and it WILL happen again if OEM parts are used.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:24 AM

Hope everyone is not getting confused. There are two problems, both ridiculous because GM uses cheap parts. These probs. are not Hummer specific and applies to Chev and GMAC trucks and some others that use the same cheap Chinese parts. The recall if the most hazardous and is the resistor in the ducting behind the glove box. A simple fix which can be found in the FORUM. The second prob. is the temp. control ****. This applies to cars and trucks across the GM line. When you turn the AC on full cold it works fine but if you begin to freeze your butt off and you turn the **** one or more clicks toward a more comfortable temp., nothing but very hot air comes out. This is also a very expensive dealer fix and it will happen again if OEM parts are used. A SATURN control module can be used and is cheaper. The cheapest and easiest way is DIY with a resistor from Radio Shack and an hours time. Directions with pics. is on the forum. Now if we could get GM to replace the worthless thermostat I could get rid of my check engine light.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:43 PM

@ozark1, didn't mean to undermine your post. Yes, if you go to the dealer it will be expensive, but I believe the fix is simple enough for a DIYer and is very inexpensive if you do it yourself.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:55 PM

It was expensive. I PAID for it just last year!!!

It cost me $494.69 November 2014 and it is acting up again.

I plan on contacting GM tomorrow to get reimbursed for this garbage.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by H32006
It was expensive. I PAID for it just last year!!!

It cost me $494.69 November 2014 and it is acting up again.

I plan on contacting GM tomorrow to get reimbursed for this garbage.
I replaced the blower resistor harness twice (once for each vehicle). Cost me 200 bucks each time. I still have one of the replacements i storage.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:45 AM
Thumbs up

No problem. I haven't had a problem with my '06..but try to keep up on things. I may get the repair item myself..and let my mechanic do it. I'll pay..but I'll know it done right..with a better part..

Old 07-13-2015, 11:28 AM
Thumbs down

My blower went out yesterday. I took it to the dealer this morning and they verified it was the resistor module and harness. Called GM customer support who said I have to pay for it out of pocket and when there is a fix under the recall they will reimburse me. $333.00 out the door this morning. Great customer support :-(

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hummer H3 Recall by GM