Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H3 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/)
-   -   Hummer H3 mild lift kit opinion? (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/hummer-h3-mild-lift-kit-opinion-27651/)

blademaster103 04-26-2012 11:46 AM

Hummer H3 mild lift kit opinion?

Hello, I have an 06 H3 and was wanting to lift the body 1-2" and still level out the front end. I am not mechanically inclined so I thought I should ask for some advice. I was looking at the Adrenaline kit (Adrenaline 3" Suspension lift kit 2006-2010 Hummer H3) but heard that the lift shackles may damage the rear suspension. The other kit I was looking at is the Tuff Country 2" kit (2006-2009 Hummer H3 - 2" Suspension Lift Kit by Tuff Country) but I wasn't sure if I could still level out the front of the vehicle. Does anyone have experience with either of these kits, or have a better option? Thanks!

Doc Olds 04-26-2012 12:04 PM

So what you are asking is what is the best way to bring the front end up level with the rear...... correct?

If you add rear leafs or shackles, I do not care whose Torsion Bar Keys you use, the rear will still be higher than the front.

The simple answer (you might want to search this since there are a plethora of threads on this topic ;) ) You DO NOT need to BUY ANYTHING TO LEVEL THE FRONT OF AN H3 Hummer.

The maximum lift to the stock front suspension is 23.75" from fender well to hub center. Personally, 23.6" is better and easier on components. The stock/OEM T Bar Keys can be adjusted to accomplish that lift to level out your H3. All you need to do is tighten the T Bar bolt on each side.

See this thread, it is old, but you will get the idea. https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...ics-how-11428/
You do not need to jack up the truck, you do not need new longer shocks (but should consider them), you do not need extended bump stops, you will need to get an alignment after you adjust the T bars Bolts and raise the front.

blademaster103 04-26-2012 12:29 PM

Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. I do want to level the H3, but I also want to give the entire thing a lift. Thats why I was thinking of the Adrenaline kit. It will lift the rear 2" and still level the vehicle because it lifts the front 3". I just wasn't sure if the lift shackles are safe to use.

Doc Olds 04-26-2012 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by blademaster103 (Post 276997)
Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. I do want to level the H3, but I also want to give the entire thing a lift. Thats why I was thinking of the Adrenaline kit. It will lift the rear 2" and still level the vehicle because it lifts the front 3". I just wasn't sure if the lift shackles are safe to use.

Let's try it again. "If you add rear leafs or shackles, I do not care whose Torsion Bar Keys you use, the rear will still be higher than the front."

The kits you are looking at will NOT level the H3. The MAXIMUM lift up front is to 23.75" fender lip to hub center. Leveling keys are garbage, waste of money, dough, moola, cabbage, pictures of dead presidents. I don't care whose keys you buy, that maximum amount will not change, and the stock keys can get you there. This is a dead horse. You asked, I am trying to save you $$. If it is burning a hole in your pocket, just mail me some cash. :rolleyes:

Here is the problem. When you raise the front to 23.75" that is pretty darn near level with the back (not exact, but close enough). Then when you add a shackle or spring and lift the rear 1.5-2", you are back to pretty close to where you started, front lower than the rear.

Do yourself a favor. Go pop off center caps and use a tape measure.

Most H3s were factory set at approx 22" in the front, so add 3" as claimed, you would be at 25".... ain't gonna work. Even if it would, you still would not need the keys.

After years of experience, and 1000s of trucks doing the T Bar adjustment lift, once you go passed 23.75" it is going to tear stuff up, and render the truck darn right scary to try and steer at Eway speed.

The first key kit people said you could go to 24'-24.5", virtually everybody who did that broke half shafts, ball joints, tie rods, steering racks. You are not going to lift the front of a stock 3 to level the front when shackles or an extra leaf are added to the rear.

Spend your $$ on an alignment, forget the "lift kits" you are thinking on.

blademaster103 04-26-2012 02:54 PM

OK, I think I understand. Thanks for taking the time to clear that up. I read the post that you directed me to...Do you think that the Bulstein shocks will help prevent damage to the vehicle. If I use the torsion bars and lift the front end to the 23.75" that you recommended, do you think am I at any risk of damaging the suspension?

If so, are these the shocks that you can recommend? Bilstein shocks and struts for cars and trucks - Shockwarehouse.com

Thanks for all of your help!

Doc Olds 04-26-2012 03:05 PM

Yes those are the Bilsteins if you want to use them. They are popular, but Fox makes a pricey pair with reservoir that some like, and there are others.

My front has been at 23.6" with a BA Winch bumper for years, stock Adventure series shocks, no problems.

You should be OK with the front at a max 23.75" so long as you wheel with your head and not the right foot. :D I've seen people break stuff up front set at the factory height, more a matter of driver error than anything. You just need to learn what your 3 can do and you'll be fine.

Keep in mind, the higher you raise the front, the more your MPG takes a beating.

Doc Olds 04-26-2012 03:11 PM

I think start with the front T Bar adjustment. If you like it, and want to add a leaf or shackles to the rear, you always can later, but as I said before, then the rear will be back a bit higher than the front.

The coolest part IMHO, is raising the front of the 3 is completely adjustable. If you go to 23.6" and want to go a bit further, you can .... or vice versa. The only issue with the changes is checking the alignment.

Welcome to the forums.

blademaster103 04-26-2012 03:15 PM

Thanks Doc Olds, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out!!

heyttsguy 04-27-2012 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what 23.6 looks like with everything stock. You'll notice a few things, a definite bigger feel in the driver's seat as you're not staring directly at the road anymore, and quite a bit of front end nose dive when braking hard, not a big deal tho. I jacked the front end off the ground when I did mine cause I heard there may be an issue with stripping the adjustment bolt threads if the t-bars are fully loaded. Make sure you get the alignment done right after, if I remember right I think my camber was out something like 4-5 degrees after.:eek:

blademaster103 04-27-2012 04:11 PM

The 23.6" looks perfect. What brand is you roof basket?