PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hummer brand sold to Indian company

Old 07-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Default RE: Hummer brand sold to Indian company

This is as much as I know. Mahindra is trying to bring a line of diesel powered pickups to the US market. From what I understand, they are supposed to be pretty decent offroad and capable, but from what I understand the quality is seriously seriously lacking, like parts falling off the body while driving badly
[sm=yikesomg.gif]
Hmmmm, I'm not sure you meant to say it this way. However, I could be wrong. I would never use the words "pretty decent" and "parts falling off the body" in the same sentence.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:42 PM

Okay....Lots of writing and I'M LAZY!!!!!

Did HUMMER get sold?? Yes/NO???

Old 07-05-2008, 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Trey124
So to continue with your logic GM should also sell off the Chevy brand as well since sales are down on the side too. Besides who needs a pickup truck the seats four and only gets 10 mpg.?!?
If GM does sell the Hummer Brand they are going to face a huge lawsuit from every dealer that was forced to build a Hummer Showroom and/or a Hummer Test Track. Each building costs around $600,000 to $800,000 to build and the test track comes in around another $800,000.
I didn't know that Chevy is in the toilet. Malibu sales are up 72 - 73%% and Cobalt sales are up almost 22%. What's not selling are trucks.

And I'd imagine Hummers will continue to be sold at Hummer dealers. I doubt whoever bought it intends to kill the brand. And at least for now,..most all Hummers are sold here.My guess is that if it is indeed Mahindra,..they'llintroduce the H3T and offer a turbo deisel in everything.And quite possibly sell the Mahindra truck in the Hummer dealers in a display over on the side (and sell a ton of them).

A very good friend of mine works for Arvin Meritor (which does brakes, suspension, axles etc for the big 3 and others). They are working on suspension for some Renaults now (and the 2012 Porsche twin-turbo). One of the Renaults has a 2.7L turbo deisel in it. 250 hp and 420 ft lbs of torque. Awsome gas mileage too. An engine like that is exactly what the H3 needs.

By the way,...the guy at the car show was a designer for GM. It's normal here to see prototypes on the street a year before they come out. I had a G8 in my driveway last year. It drove very nicely,I was impressed. It was only the V6 auto version,..but step on it and it smokes 'em for a block. Based on the new Camaro platform but with 4 doors.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:27 AM

Amen to what NEFirewoodsaid. The H3 needs a 4 banger diesel and needs it BAD. If it takes Mahindra to do it then more power to 'em.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Every time gas prices go up, people panic and all the sudden sales are down, companies are selling their divisions but the bigger issue is not just gas prices, it's the fact that people just don't have the money to buy ANY cars these days. I really hope Hummer does not fade into oblivion. It would be a damn shame. They need to work on the drivetrain a bit as some of you stated. Get rid of the extra bulk, optimize the engine and maybe you'll be able to save them.

If somebody buys Hummer and turns it around somehow, GM will be kicking themselves for a long time saying "Why didn't WE think of that?" There are SO many things they could do to make the trucks more efficient, but they aren't doing them. I hope they survive, but we won't know for certain until it comes out of GM's own mouth.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:03 PM

In the next 90 days GM will sell off either Saab of Saturn. My source thinks it is more likely to be Saab.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:46 PM

They may as well sell of Saab. They're done ruining that mark. I used to be a real fan of Saabs; the old 99 &900, pre-GM models. Oh well.....

Old 07-07-2008, 11:26 PM

ORIGINAL: duckstu

In the next 90 days GM will sell off either Saab of Saturn. My source thinks it is more likely to be Saab.
So we've gotta wait 90 day to call B.S.? I hate waiting...

But wait - is this a real sale your source is predicting? Or will it be another 'secret' sale like the 'done deal' Hummer sale you've already claimed...

Old 07-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

The sale of Saturn and/or Saab is no secret. My wife saw it on the news yesterday afternoon. That would lead me to believe that whoever is leaking info to duskstu is leaking it to the press.

Just my personal opinion, but European cars should be owned by European companies. I think Ford and GM need to go old school and get back to focusing on their own brands. I think Ford has done well with Mazda. Volvo seems to do well also (and I just bought one).

I've been getting alot of crap lately about thinking about selling my H3 in the spring, but it has nothing to do with gas prices. We are planning on having kids in the next few years and the way the economy is, I want to save every penny I can for their future and in case the economy gets worse, have money saved for emergencies. Some people just have genuine reasons for wanting to sell their trucks, but I think GM is making a big mistake thinking about selling, IF that is in-fact what they are doing.

They've invested so much time and money into building the name, and after what, more then 3 or 4 years, they are going to let the last few months erase what they have done for years? Everybody knows that Hummers are one of their most profitable lines. They need to stick it out for a while if they can financially afford to do so and work on improving their reputation via the media, commercials, public involvement, etc instead of just running away from it. To me, whoever is running the show over there needs to go back to school and take some marketting classes. Their commercials care more about focusing on the trucks and not about improving their tarnished image.

Here's an idea; how about you make some commercials about the benefits of having a Hummer, and not some cliche'd video of a Hummer driving through mud. I mean, give me a break. How many years have we watched commercials of Hummers driving through mud? Are you freakin' kidding me? The NEW commercials show that.

I'm sorry but if you don't know by now that a Hummer can drive down a dirt trail, try driving in a normal car, because most of the dirt roads they show Hummers driving down can be driving with a normal vehicle.

How about you create commercials disproving the stereotype about them being bad for the environment, focus more on safety for your family, more on how the H3 gets better mileage then MOST comparable SUV's out there, etc.?

Come ON GM. It doesn't take a marketting genious to figure this out. Any die-hard Hummer owner as ourselves that are involved in the REAL Hummer community can tell you how to save the brand.

Maybe it's time for a change in management or staffing. Maybe they need some, oh, ya know, CREATIVITY?

I'll stop now before I get even more pissed at ignorant management [:@] People need to come into the real world and get their heads out of their book theory.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:52 AM

But remember it's now a World Market. It's no longer local to the USA. Practically everything in your Hummer is outsourced to other companies, many of which are off-shore. Just like my American Dell computer. Open it up and many of the parts are made in Mylasia!! My Cadillac CTS had a French transmission and a German rear differential.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hummer brand sold to Indian company