PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hummer brakes when turning at slow speeds

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kowaiter
Took it to Hummer Dealer in Valencia California. Turns out it is the Fork. My H3 was out of warranty but since I had low miles <25,000 and up to date service records ie I changed the oil. AJ the service rep went to bat for me with Gm and they are covering the replacement. I have to pay a 300 dollar deductable. I believe this should be a recall. Not right that they know about it and dont recall it but thats up to them I guess. Thanks for all your help. It helped out alot that I did have some history on this problem and I really feel like that knowledge paid off when I went to Hummer and gave them the car. Thanks again to all those that posted
Consider yourself lucky for only paying $300.00. The service rep. and GM did the right thing in your case. Glad we could help.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:23 AM
Default Maybe busted fork?

I have a 06 H3 I bought used with 58k miles with 1 previous owner. Recently my wife has made it to 86k and she complains that when randomly going into right turns it feels like the brake system is locking up. I thought maybe she wasn't used to driving trucks as she was used to driving cars all her life. I got behind the wheel and took off, everything seemed normal and after about an hour of driving i thought she was crazy. On my way back home I started into a curve and slowed to 20mph when it happened, I hit the brake and as soon as I let off it felt like the whole hummer was about to lock up. This problem doesn't happen all the time just randomly. I'm not completely sure what this could be but after some reading I am afraid it might be a busted fork. Is there any other way to check to make for sure this is the problem before I send her off to the shop? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:40 AM

The problem is definitely your transfer case. The same thing happens to me every now and then when I switch from 4 LO back to 4HI open. The transfer case seems to get stuck in 4HI-Lock when I switch back. I suggest putting your transmission in neutral, then holding your 4HI and 4LO buttons at the same time until your transfer case goes to full neutral. Once you're in full neutral, push the 4HI button and see if your problem goes away... worked for me a hundred times.

The problem is absolutely not your brakes, don't waste your time with those.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:05 AM

I am facing the same problem. At slower speed, when I turn left or right, I feel the vehicle brakes itself. I drive it at AWD always. Can anyone help to get out of this issue?

Old 05-21-2019, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jöśë'ś Items
I am facing the same problem. At slower speed, when I turn left or right, I feel the vehicle brakes itself. I drive it at AWD always. Can anyone help to get out of this issue?
READ you Owner's manual and avoid digging up OLD AS DIRT 8.5 YEAR OLD Threads.

What you describe could be 100% normal when on dry pavement and turning very sharp. H3 are always in AWD all the time. Get out of "your issue" by not turning so sharp. Switch the vehicle to 4 HI Lock, then back to 4 HI and drive backward a short distance.

READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping'