PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hummer brakes when turning at slow speeds

Old 10-07-2010, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by drtom

pss the day i got my new h3 i added my famous red flashing lock mode led!!

im getting pics ready to show this very simple mod

drtom.....can you give us detailed instructions along with the pics? I want to add one of these also. thx

Old 10-07-2010, 05:28 PM

I second on this Dr Tom...be a good provider to your flocks!!!

Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned
Default ok ill start a red lite thread

advice accepted on methodes for posting,,my weakness

check "flashing red lite"

tom

Old 10-07-2010, 10:31 PM

OP- it sounds like your TC actuator has you in 4HI Lock. IF you are no longer under warranty, remove the TC actuator and manually place the TC into 4HI normal mode. If you need assistance on this PM me and I will try to assist you thru detailed instructions. It may save you lots of $$$$!

Old 10-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by drtom
first, this is not a normal all wheel drive characteristic!

the only way to get into "full lock" is to have locking diffs,AND be in lo lock + rear and front lock mode. you cant lock diffs in hi mode

you would know because the engine would be at about 4000 rpm to go at all. turning while on dry pavement would bind up the diffs and might cause this but you otta know if youre in lo lock!!

if u r u will soon have other troubles, busted tranny,transfer case,,,drive chain. all has been discussed here b4.

then again it could be a new whacky brake malfunction???

tom

Just having the truck in 4hi on pavement will cause binding and can feel like brakes engaging because the front tires cannot slip independantly of the rear tires.

But also, when you have the steering at full-lock, it can feel like brakes are being applied and the tires will squeel etc due to the awd system.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Banned
Default yeah, new to me 2

i never did it with open diff 07.
i guess if wheels jump under power they will jamb when "coasting"

sumpin gotta give!, its the grass when i practice with lockers!! it gets chewed, tires loaded, hard to steer,,fun experience for newbe to 4wd

Old 10-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Banned

Yes even with open differentials, when the center dif is locked it will cause binding because the front tires want to move at the same speed as the rear tires, and if you are on pavement the pavement wont give (as opposed to grass, gravel, mud etc).

Old 10-09-2010, 07:11 PM

RKSmith163 nailed this for you. When the mode fork in the transfer case gives up it can manifest itself in different ways depending on how it gives up. ONe of the ways is to leave the t-case in the lock mode, which is what you're experiencing. The dash lights won't tell you this because as far as they know the shift to normal drive mode has been made, and the actuator did what it was supposed to. The only problem is the shift fork broke and left the case in high lock. This explains the binding that you're getting, because the front and rear tires are trying to turn at the same speed while swinging different arcs. I would bet any amount of money I could afford that this is the problem.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:17 PM

Took it to Hummer Dealer in Valencia California. Turns out it is the Fork. My H3 was out of warranty but since I had low miles <25,000 and up to date service records ie I changed the oil. AJ the service rep went to bat for me with Gm and they are covering the replacement. I have to pay a 300 dollar deductable. I believe this should be a recall. Not right that they know about it and dont recall it but thats up to them I guess. Thanks for all your help. It helped out alot that I did have some history on this problem and I really feel like that knowledge paid off when I went to Hummer and gave them the car. Thanks again to all those that posted

Old 10-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Banned
Default recall agree,

just for record,when did they switch from crummy plastic to aluminum,?

should be steel!

tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hummer brakes when turning at slow speeds