PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to replace stock speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Default how to replace stock speakers?

before i messed up my door =/ i wanted to change the speakers and saw that there was a casings around the speakers and wanted to know were you can buy thouse or there is an adapter to fit the speaker in so i can replace all 4 because my system is starting to get bad and its a stock 2008 but its because i love to much bass =) and also what would be some good speakers if i dont want to spend alot but have really good bass and sound. O and one last questain does the 2008 hummer H3 come with a stock sound amlifier?

Old 03-13-2009, 06:20 AM

Yes, if you have a monsoon system your radio has a factory amp. Easy was to check is in your rear cab area. If you only have one storage pocket on the side behind the rear passenger seats you probably have a factory sub. If you have two storage pockets, you have a non amplified system.
Without an amp I suggest replacing the head unit along with the speakers. More power, clean, dependable. If your not a bass head you will not need extra amps. Stick with Polk Audio, Infinity, or Alpine for your door speakers. They all carry great warranties, withstand abuse, sound great, and each company has different models along a pricing scale.
You can contact crutchfeild.com and check one the panel adapters. We haven't seen anything yet. A good 6.5 inch speaker should mount up easily with self tapping metal screws. A bit of home insulation can fill th void if you want to be picky and seal the sound box better.
Remember to buy speaker harness adapters. These are sold just about anywhere. They keep you from having to cut the factory wires, bad idea cause they are all different colors making positive and negative hard to figure out. Plus they make installs a snap!

Old 03-13-2009, 08:52 AM

I agree on all except Crutchfield, I think that's the biggest rip off company out there, they charge you double for everything they sell, you can find what you want buy elsewhere online for a lot less.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:25 PM

I use crutchfield for research. Find what parts I need from them, then shop around for the best prices.

I recently just bought a kenwood DNX8120 with a backup camera and harness adapter. I used crutchfield to find the correct adapter and camera but purchased everything somewhere else.

The head unit at crutchfield was $1499 and came with a "free" backup camera, $149 value so they said. The harness adapter was $99 extra.

I shopped around and found a new head unit on ebay for $899. Found the same backup camera on ebay for $75 and the harness adapter online for $45.

since the ebay seller is not a factory dealer there is no factory warranty so I purchased a square trade 3 year warranty which includes parts and labor. The factory warranty(1 year) does not cover labor. I got it all for under $1200. Same stuff better warranty cheaper price. I saved enough to have it professionally installed and take my girl out for a nice dinner.

Last edited by dunringil; 03-16-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Talking

We do the same as mentioned above when it comes to Best Buy or Crutchfield, Find what you like, then buy elsewhere. We have NEVER been a fan of Jensen products until recently. For a promo, they provided us with the VM9022HD, NAV101, and an extra MZ7TFT for rear video. After playing with Alpine, Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, JVC, & Clarion, We quickly learned this isn't the old unreliable Jensen's we where used to dealing with.

First the Bluetooth Functions Flawlessly! Then there is the adjustable sound controls and EQ's, which can be set separately for every output- Radio, XM, CD, SD, MP3. There are five channels plus clean 5volt sub outputs. The bonus is the add on 7" touch screen that is interactive with the head unit. Something no one else offers. We kept the head unit stock and in its factory place. Then Modified the add on touch screen above it to show the NAV. No switching back and forth! We can run a movie on either screen or backup camera and control both screen separately by touch while keeping them interactively based of the main head unit.

This means we can listen to tunes or watch a flick while still selecting navigation routes and getting directions! Plus we got it all dirt cheap, which is always a huge bonus! Even at a zero discount, a full setup with nave would run around 800, including both screens! We run Polk Momo twin sets of 6.5 and tweets with a three pack of MTX 7500 12's. High and mids run off a Xtant 5 channel, while the subs eat the 1100watt MTX Hailstorm and two farad caps. Running all power down the center console kept things clean. We tucked the amps under the front seats so there is no mess in the back other than a box. Even cut a tray in the top console for shades!

Old 03-25-2009, 01:30 PM

According to crutchfield, there are no speaker harness adapters available for the h3. I have my new dnx8120 installed and I love it so far. Big improvement over the factory unit in sound quality. Lots more features. Thinking of upgrading the factory speakers next. Nothing major. The infinity Kappa series is my choice so far. Since they are 2 ohm i can stick with the factory amp and not lose power like I would with 4 ohm speakers. How hard is it to remove the door panel?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:59 PM

Door panels are not too tough. There should be a single screw behind the door latch, then carefully pry the matte black trim off the pull bar on the handle, there are two screws there as well. Do not pry on the button for the widows or locks, they will stay on the panel. you will then have to pry the pop tabs that are around the door panel frame. Once the door is lifted from the bottom up, you will need to lift it out of the window channel. If you have after market tinted windows, be careful not to scratch the film when lifting the panel up and off the door frame. In order to completely remove the door panel you will need to unclip and remove the door lock and door pull cables. Just make sure these are replaced properly and working before you close the door! otherwise it a pain it the tail to fix. Also double check the child lock switch on the rear doors. If they are half way between settings the door will stick shut.

Newer model GM speaker harness adapters will work fine. Check with Best buy or the likes. They should run about 12 bucks a pair and are well worth it since the wires are all different colors in the door for the speakers. This makes determining positive and negative a drag. If they are out of phase your speakers will sound like crap.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:16 PM

Can someone help me on getting to the rear speaker? I need to replace it but do not know how to get to it. The liner seems to be on there really good. thanks .

Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by BrickWurX Mfg.
Yes, if you have a monsoon system your radio has a factory amp. Easy was to check is in your rear cab area. If you only have one storage pocket on the side behind the rear passenger seats you probably have a factory sub. If you have two storage pockets, you have a non amplified system.
Without an amp I suggest replacing the head unit along with the speakers. More power, clean, dependable. If your not a bass head you will not need extra amps. Stick with Polk Audio, Infinity, or Alpine for your door speakers. They all carry great warranties, withstand abuse, sound great, and each company has different models along a pricing scale.
You can contact crutchfeild.com and check one the panel adapters. We haven't seen anything yet. A good 6.5 inch speaker should mount up easily with self tapping metal screws. A bit of home insulation can fill th void if you want to be picky and seal the sound box better.
Remember to buy speaker harness adapters. These are sold just about anywhere. They keep you from having to cut the factory wires, bad idea cause they are all different colors making positive and negative hard to figure out. Plus they make installs a snap!

How did you managed with the vents with the second screen? do they work? I have been thinking to do something like that but I cant figure out how to deal with air vents.
I'm thinking to buy a new panel and trim it to rearrange a second 7" or even a 9"screen and a Spod switch panel for extra lights at the front and the roof

Spod: http://www.4x4spod.com/

Any thoughts? can you post some pics of the installation of the second screen?

Ps. what is that little thingi haging from your keys?

Old 03-07-2011, 11:29 PM

Try sonicelectronix.com I always buy from them and they have awesome prices. JL audio is unbeatable quality. I would definitely go with them if you have somewhat of a budget.