PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much chrome is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 08:38 PM
rsc
Default how much chrome is too much?

My first H3 had chrome rims, grill and brushguard, but otherwise black on gray. Second H3 just had the chrome grill on the gray paint and looked really nice. But, my newest one has the chrome grill, brushguard, door handles and mirrors too. Part of me actually likes the look against the blue paint. So who else likes the chrome? How much is too much and where do YOU draw the line? Are some colors better one way or the other?

Old 12-27-2015, 12:14 AM

i dont like added chrome but the regular stuff is fine with me.
my wheels are peeling, ill paint them black next summer.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:02 AM

I find the OEM chrome (door handles, mirrors, wheels and front grill) to be aesthetically pleasing and classy. The "murdered out" look is not my style and is taken too far by way to many people. Some people think you can't wheel your rig hard if you have chrome. I can disprove that first hand and know many others who like tasteful chrome who wheel hard. Chrome has been way over done also.

There are as many different opinions on this as there are on tires.
Personal opinion I guess.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:37 AM
rsc

I guess I'm old, grew up with chrome bumpers, grills and latches. I really had a hard time adjusting to the monochromatic painted plastic bumper look in the 80's.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:56 AM

I really had a hard time adjusting to the monochromatic painted plastic bumper look in the 80's.
i wanted to say that!!

Old 12-27-2015, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
I find the OEM chrome (door handles, mirrors, wheels and front grill) to be aesthetically pleasing and classy. The "murdered out" look is not my style and is taken too far by way to many people. Some people think you can't wheel your rig hard if you have chrome. I can disprove that first hand and know many others who like tasteful chrome who wheel hard. Chrome has been way over done also.

I agree with Tainter on this; "some" chrome is classy. Too much? Cheesy. "But", everyone has a different opinion on where that dividing line is.

I, too, am old (54), and although i'm fine with the monochromatic bumpers of today's vehicles, I still cannot get into the whole black wheel thing (in my mind, it's as though they couldn't afford nice rims, so they rattle-canned theirs black). Don't get me wrong, I've seen some really bitchin' blacked out H3s (many on this site), but they're just not quite my cup of tea.

My black Alpha has the chrome grille, mirrors, door handles, and rims. I've added the small Hummer letter inserts in the front bumper, and now a chrome billet fuel door. Nothing more (chrome) will be added; for me, this is the dividing line.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:47 PM

I'd say get rid of the chrome brushguard, and leave the rest

Old 12-27-2015, 01:09 PM

I don't mind the OEM chrome but it's not my style.
I have a chrome grill but black handles & mirrors with a black brushguard.

I'm with Skeet on the chrome brushguard. It gets lost being in front of a chrome grill, no contrast.

What I absolutely dislike is a vehicle loaded with Putco fake chrome accessories.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:47 PM

Too much chrome can be over whelming. From what you are describing, it all appears to be OEM stuff. Once you start adding chrome antenna mount, chrome air inlet covers, chrome tail light covers, chrome hood vent with handles and so on, it gets to be too much. Again this is just my opinion, every one has different taste. Not a fan of black wheels either, I think you loose a lot of detail when you can't see the wheels. I also have the slate blue with all the stock black stuff and chrome grille. Planning on getting a black billet gas door in the future.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TAINTER

Yep, true that.

Quick Reply: how much chrome is too much?