PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

How-to for front speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 01:52 AM

There will be no physical connection between the tweeter and door speakers as they would both run through a cross over only allowing certain frequencies to each speaker/tweeter, the door speaker would generally only get mid frequency sounds, while the tweeter will get the high frequency sounds and the sub gets low frequency sounds.

That is the point of having separate speakers, as it places the correct frequency sounds in the right location and to the right speaker, so if you have not rewired the whole system, it means your 3 way speaker would not be getting the frequency to work correctly as the manufacturer intended, as the cross over would be filtering out any low frequencies and any high frequencies before they get to your door speaker.

On another note does you car have a factory sub??

I am still trying to learn about these cars, here in Australia it appears every Hummer has a sub and split front speakers and rear door speakers, are there H3's without factory subs?? Or are you thinking of adding an extra sub??

What is actually defines the 'Monsoon' system that I hear getting mentioned, over lets say a non Monsoon system?? How many different H3 head units are there?? How many different systems are there?? (might have to start a thread about this myself I think)

My system sounds awesome and has heaps of Bass and volume, no need to replace or add anything, the only thing I find it lacks is an AUX input for iPod/MP3 player, which I have been trying to source, but I get confused as people talk XM Radios, and I don't think we have XM radios here in Australia.

Or may be we do?? There is very little info on these vehicles out here, and not may around to compare mine to.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:21 PM

Aussie,

It sounds like you have a different system than mine. Mine is not an optional Monsoon system. I do NOT have a subwoofer. I'm also pretty sure there isn't any crossover connecting the door speakers and tweeters (though I've been wrong before!), but I do understand what your saying with regard to frequency separation. The head unit DOES have satellite radio and just a single CD player. Quite basic and primitive. I replaced the rear door speakers today and they are actually 2-way (at least they appear that way, as they are different from the front - see pic below).

Name:  speakers.jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  52.3 KB

Old 10-27-2012, 08:29 PM

Yes, the rear speakers should be 2 way so a 3 way replacement will be fine.

There has to be some sort of cross over for the front, as otherwise the tweeter would be destroyed in no time, unless the tweeters just have an inline frequency filter in the speaker wire (a cheap form of a cross over), unless they run directly off the head unit, not sure how it works but there has to be something that stops low frequency signals going to the tweeters.

The front speakers you fitted will work, but it would mainly be the main speaker part working.

My speakers are still going strong, and sounding great, May be I have the Monsoon system, as my Hummer has front splits, rear door speakers, and a factory fitted sub box in the cargo area. Also has a 6 disk CD player in the dash, but I don't think it has XM, not even sure what XM is, might google it now

EDIT:
Just Googles it, no we don't have XM, its a US thing that we don't have here.

Last edited by Aussie H3; 10-27-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:41 PM

Awesome. I was having the same problem. When the speaker worked, so did the locking chime. If speaker didnt work, no chime. Pictures helped a lot too. Nice job. You save me from posting my own question about this

Old 05-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by oldmanhum1966
Awesome. I was having the same problem. When the speaker worked, so did the locking chime. If speaker didnt work, no chime. Pictures helped a lot too. Nice job. You save me from posting my own question about this
Welcome to the forums. Head on over to the new member area and say hello.

In regard to this thread, its 18 months old and you are thanking somebody that has not been here in 9 months? Old threads are better read than dug up.

So now we can let it ride off into the sunset.