PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

How do I permanently stop the AutoHeadlights from coming on at startup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by wfturner
I figured it might be that . . .

ski.dive-
And . . . the DRL function is not controlled by the ambient light sensor on the dash.
The DRL is solely controlled by the BCM. Pulling fuse #39 defeats just the DRL function, which is old news to most of us.
And installing a permanent resistor in place of the ambient light sensor could cause problems with the BCM.

Isn't it easier to just turn the headlight switch to the left and release after you start driving ?
If done correctly, how could it "cause problems to the BCM"?

Old 04-18-2019, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
(L)ight-(D)ependent (R)esistor
1) The term for the dash mounted sensor is Ambient Light Sensor, that is why a few of us did not recognize your acronym, LDR.
2) The truck could throw a code or some other problem with the BCM if a permanent resistor is installed in place of the ambient light sensor. I am not positive of this, but I am aware of just how sensitive our early Can-bus systems can be on these vehicles.
3) I did watch the video and it certainly looks plausible, but either you or ski.dive should try the modification and report back.
I am not interested in this mod and only ski.dive states he wants to drive in stealth mode, no lights on at night (why?)
It really isn't that difficult to just rotate the light switch counter clock wise after start up

Below are two images from the Schwarttzy service manuals that describes the sensor and its operation

Old 04-18-2019, 02:11 PM

I'm not interested in this mod, however I know it can be done! You need to understand how the LDR works and you will know too!

Old 04-18-2019, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by wfturner
I figured it might be that . . .

And installing a permanent resistor in place of the ambient light sensor could cause problems with the BCM.
if this is true then driving the car only during daylight would cause problems to the BCM also? lol
if you put a resistor that is the same as the sensor gives when its broad daylight.
wtf is up with you, giving people advice ant you either dont know antyhing on the subject, or you try and hide knowledge. he just wants to turn lights on via a switch , like in older cars. where is the problem? you think he wants to use the hummer as a murder weapon with headlights off or what lol

Old 04-18-2019, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by h3/z28/t.a.
if this is true then driving the car only during daylight would cause problems to the BCM also? lol
if you put a resistor that is the same as the sensor gives when its broad daylight.
wtf is up with you, giving people advice ant you either dont know antyhing on the subject, or you try and hide knowledge. he just wants to turn lights on via a switch , like in older cars. where is the problem? you think he wants to use the hummer as a murder weapon with headlights off or what lol
It also becomes a problem when others share expert advice on this forum, and others ridicule?

Old 04-19-2019, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

WTF is up with YOU! All of two whole posts and a genius expert on the topic of BCM programming for DLR operation???

Not gonna make any friends by over-reacting to some sarcastic humor, take a chill pill and contribute if you can. If not, please keep your ridicule to yourself.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:31 PM

just reading, some great entertainment here...

Old 04-20-2019, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
WTF is up with YOU! All of two whole posts and a genius expert on the topic of BCM programming for DLR operation???

Not gonna make any friends by over-reacting to some sarcastic humor, take a chill pill and contribute if you can. If not, please keep your ridicule to yourself.
The guy wants to know how to disable automatic headlights.
instead of someone just telling him to just pull the freakin sensor out and put a wire in its place, it all turns into BCM programming and possible damage to highly advanced electronics and truck blowing up lol. its not NASA, its just an older suv with not so cutting edge technology.
Its the same system as in my 95 pontiac firebird formula. 95 is 24 years lol. 2006 was 13 years ago. its simple and its not a big deal . just tell the guy what to do
I m here mostly for finding information that I cant figure out and am looking for a quick answer, I cant say I enjoy reading a couple pages of jokes and sarcasm and no real info on the subject. Is this a forum abut hummers or a jokes/sarcasm /friendship / OAP s wasting time kind of forum?

Old 04-20-2019, 12:36 PM

The guy wants to know how to disable automatic headlights.
instead of someone just telling him to just pull the freakin sensor out and put a wire in its place, it all turns into BCM programming and possible damage to highly advanced electronics and truck blowing up lol. its not NASA, its just an older suv with not so cutting edge technology.
Its the same system as in my 95 pontiac firebird formula. 95 is 24 years lol. 2006 was 13 years ago. its simple and its not a big deal . just tell the guy what to do
I m here mostly for finding information that I cant figure out and am looking for a quick answer, I cant say I enjoy reading a couple pages of jokes and sarcasm and no real info on the subject. Is this a forum abut hummers or a jokes/sarcasm /friendship / OAP s wasting time kind of forum?
You know so much and yet you wasted everyone's time posting this gibberish:

There is a way then,
the sensor is located on the dash, must be pretty easy to disconnect. If the lights still come on, then we need to fin out what voltage it gives in daylight.
If the lights dont come onn if the sensor is diconnected, then you can even add a switch to disable automatic lights when you need to.
Then the daytime running lights might need disabling , so that all lights stay off.
To go full stealth mode lol, PM for tips hahha

If you are here for a quick answer, then get it and move on, and stop posting bs. In the meantime, I still don't understand why anyone would want to override the headlights? I have seen many vehicles driving down the road without their headlights on at dark, I could have wrecked any of them. This feature is for safety of those drivers that can't remember to turn their headlights on at dark! Just imagine how many lives that have been saved with this feature over the years.

Last edited by hummerz; 04-20-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:48 AM

So......
Do I need torsion keys to fit 35s under my H3???

Common guys, be nice! No need to fight here!