PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Amp/Sub question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Default Amp/Sub question

I just bought a kicker zx300.1 and some JL audio 12" 1v2.4 subs. But i have no idea how to install the amp, i have a 2006 h3 with the six disc stock system. is there a post on how to install the amp to the stereo? i couldn't find one

Old 02-09-2012, 08:02 PM

along with the line output converter referenced in the other thread that you replied to, you will need to find a 12 volt "accessory" wire. Most likely youre going to need to get that the old school way (tapping it into a fuse) or find the accessory wire under the steering column, or you can find it where the factory amp is.
Obviously the power wire (positive) will go to the battery (fuse it).
Ground is grounded to clean metal (remove the paint with some sand paper or something).
Remote wire goes to a switched 12 V source (the accessory wire or fuse).
RCA goes from the line output converter to the "input" of the amp.
Speaker wires go from amp to Sub!
Done!
Hopefully this all makes sense.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the reply. I understand most of this. I might have trouble installing the converter to the right wires and the accessory wire. I have a friend that knows how to install these but I don't think he's done anything to a h3.

Do you know the best(and easiest) place to run the wires through from the trunk area up to the console? Maybe under the carpet or through some panels?

Old 02-09-2012, 10:49 PM

you can definately run them under/ behind the panels along the side of the h3 to keep the wires hidden (under the door sills and tucked under the rear side panels). Also, you can drill a hole through the firewall for the power cable to go through where the clutch knock out is (if you have an automatic).

Here's a link to another thread where I posted a pic of the power wire going through the firewall: https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/a...ll-help-25242/

Old 02-10-2012, 08:47 AM

I have everything figured out except I don't know where I will plug in the auxiliary wire that turns the amp on, and im not sure what wires ill be hooking the connector up to in the stereo

Old 02-10-2012, 04:13 PM

Everything is ready all i need to know is where the left and right speaker wires are and where to connect the cord that turns the amp on

Old 02-10-2012, 06:11 PM

I went to the fuse box and found an extra that only is on with the key on. Do you have the factory sub? That is the wires i used, and disconnected my sub. It rattled real bad.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:41 PM

I have everything wired through the panels and the power to the battery. The speaker wires are running into my center console.

I just don't know where to connect the converter box. It has 6 wires, 2 are for left speakers (-) and (+). And two are for right speakers (-) and (+). The other two i don't know what they're for.

Where is the fuse box? And how do i connect that wire(on/off wire)?

Old 02-10-2012, 08:39 PM

The fuse box is under the hood by the battery. Look on the chart for a spare. Then test it to see if it is on all the time or just with the key on. 12V test light. Hook up your amp on wire to a fuse that is only on with the key on.
Pull the panel off the driver side in the back. Do you have an amp and sub? This is where I hooked up my new amp and sub. I think you don't need the extra wires, just the 2 channels. I cut the wires going to the factory sub and used them to the converter.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:16 PM

The two extra wires are ground wires I believe. Im not even sure why they put them on there. You can tape them off with some electrical tape.
If youre not afraid of tapping into a wire under your dash you can get the accessory wire there (off the ignition harness). Its under the dash below the steering wheel. I dont know exactly what color the wire is that I used but I will look tomorrow and let you know. It would probably be a lot easier than running the wire (its called the "remote wire") out to under the hood.

Quick Reply: Amp/Sub question