PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horizontal Headlamp (Adjustment?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 03:06 PM
Default Horizontal Headlamp (Adjustment?)

It's kind of an involved process. Not as simple as turning some screw. But, I figured out a way to make the LEFT HEADLAMP, point more straight ahead, rather than the right curb.

Associated thread... https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...justment-5215/

After removing the grill, which can be found in a number places here, remove 3 bolts (#1 in diagram). Along with 1 screw (#2 in diagram), this will allow you to swing the metal bracket up and pull the headlamp assembly forward. Don't need to go very far. I was able to make my adjustment by placing 3 1/4 inch flat washers, between the assembly and the radiator support, at location marked with the green arrow. This will point the headlight slightly to the left. Your number of washers may vary. Took a couple of tries to get it right, but that's what worked for me. To keep the washers in place during assembly, I taped the washers together and against the radiator support. This made it easier to insert the bolt.
Reassemble the rest in reverse order, and you're done.
NOTE: This will also raise the aim a bit, so be sure to readjust the vertical aim.

Hope this helps, others.

EJ

Last edited by GrampaEJ; 02-10-2019 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Clarifying aim direction.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the tip.

Make sure NOT to point your left headlight at oncoming traffic.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the how-to on the horizontal adjustment. I have noticed in a light fog that the driver side headlight is aimed way too much towards the passenger side. I understand that the goal is not to blind the oncoming traffic but there is a rather large void between the centerline of the road and the headlight beam. Why would there only be a vertical adjustment and no horizontal?