Hoping to get answers - Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:31 AM

Question Hoping to get answers

Hi everyone,
My pre-loved 2007 Hummer H3, which I just bought last week, shows the "Service Stab Sys" "Traction Failed" messages on the dashboard. There are times when these would just go off and then turn themselves back on again. I am wondering if this is just a computer issue or there might be some bigger mechanical issues involved. Recently, I brought it to a garage hoping to get the wheels aligned. Then the mechanics told me that they could not align the wheels until I replace the following parts:
1. Rack end (L/R)
2. Steering rack mount support (L/R)
3. Torsion bar bushing (L/R)
Now, I'm wondering if replacing these parts will also help solve the "Stab Sys" "Traction Failed" issue. Can someone please shed light on this? If I need to add some more info about my ride, please let me know. My apologies too if this thread might be a replication of other threads. I'm new to the forum. but I hope to find my way around real soon.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 10-10-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_overcomer View Post
Hi everyone,
My pre-loved 2007 Hummer H3, which I just bought last week, shows the "Service Stab Sys" "Traction Failed" messages on the dashboard. There are times when these would just go off and then turn themselves back on again. I am wondering if this is just a computer issue or there might be some bigger mechanical issues involved. Recently, I brought it to a garage hoping to get the wheels aligned. Then the mechanics told me that they could not align the wheels until I replace the following parts:
1. Rack end (L/R)
2. Steering rack mount support (L/R)
3. Torsion bar bushing (L/R)
Now, I'm wondering if replacing these parts will also help solve the "Stab Sys" "Traction Failed" issue. Can someone please shed light on this? If I need to add some more info about my ride, please let me know. My apologies too if this thread might be a replication of other threads. I'm new to the forum. but I hope to find my way around real soon.

Many thanks in advance!
How any miles?
Are you not from the United States? The descriptions of the parts that the "mechanic" said needs to be replaced are odd?
No torsion bar bushings.
Rack end? Do you mean tie rod ends?
Steering rack mounts (rubber bushing) is a known issue. The rack will love in the mount causing a change in alignment after every turn.

I would definitely see another alignment shop for a 2nd opinion. Still stuck on torsion bar bushings not being a real thing.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAINTER View Post
How any miles?
Are you not from the United States? The descriptions of the parts that the "mechanic" said needs to be replaced are odd?
No torsion bar bushings.
Rack end? Do you mean tie rod ends?
Steering rack mounts (rubber bushing) is a known issue. The rack will love in the mount causing a change in alignment after every turn.

I would definitely see another alignment shop for a 2nd opinion. Still stuck on torsion bar bushings not being a real thing.
He might be referring to Torsion Bar Keys, but they are never supposed to wear out.... He's in Qatar.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:34 AM

Thanks for the response. For a second opinion, I went to the servicing garage of Hummer here in Qatar, and they did write about changing the steering rod ends and the torsion bar bushings. I suppose the steering rod ends are the same as tie rod ends. Am I right?

As for the Q itself, will changing these parts help solve the "now-you-see-now-you-don't" Service Stab Sys and Traction Fail messages?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:18 PM

Those 2 items will not change the code you have thrown on your DIC (diagnostic information center) in your gauge cluster.

Did you have the servicing garage of Hummer in Qatar read the codes? If so, what are they? If not, have the codes read and post them. You could have anything from a bad ABS sensor to a bad BCM.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:06 AM

For the service stability sign : when was the last time you cleaned your throttle body ?
start from there .
Old 10-15-2017, 12:05 AM

#1 Check to see if all your ABS connections are set. This can throw the code.

#2 There are 2 connectors you need to look at. 1. check under the steering column and make sure the Steering Wheel Position Sensor is actually connected. 2. Check to see if the ABS connector right above the brake pedal is connected

#3 If your steering has been serviced, they probably messed up the Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS). If it has been messed up, you will need to purchase a new one and replace it...there are threads on how to replace this as well as a generic replacement vid on YouTube for a Chevy Pickup which is near identical to ours.

I'll bet you are getting code C0710, which tells you to fix the SWPS. Start in those areas first.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:48 AM

Mine had this issues with a stuck pressed in, 4lo lock button.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:10 AM

Default P0128 code

Many thanks for the response.
Regarding the Stab Sys Traction Failed message that I see on the DIC, it disappeared for about one month only to re-appear today to my chagrin.
The dealer here in Qatar listed the P0128 code for the Stab Sys Traction Failed message.
Can anyone help shed light in what this code means and if it is something that I should lose sleep for?
Many thanks for the response.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:52 AM

A P0128 code
Faulty thermostat or ECT (engine coolant temp sensor).