Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H3 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/)
-   -   Hood Ornament (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/hood-ornament-28311/)

Hairydawg 07-10-2012 01:04 PM

Hood Ornament

1 Attachment(s)
:confused: I just bought an '08 H3 Alpha. The prior owner had mounted a bull horns ornament on the hood, just above the latch (see photo). I want to remove the horns but removal will leave a couple of holes in the hood where the horns were mounted. The only resolutions I can come up with to fix this problem would be to A) take to a body shop and let them repair the holes or B) mount something else in the same location. Body shop being the last resort, going with "B", I was thinking of placing the "ALPHA" shield in that location, but I don't know where to find one. Does anyone know of where I could get something like that to mount on my hood? I have found decals, but that won't work. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Wayne Auto Ebay 07-10-2012 01:19 PM

Man thats one ugly hood ornament ! you could put the H3 emblem over the holes maybe

twinmill28 07-10-2012 07:15 PM

I stumbled on one of the Alpha badges on Ebay the other night for around $20.
Or why not remove the existing POS and put a Mercedes emblem? :}

stevek813 07-11-2012 05:09 PM

I feel for you buddy. That hood ornament is horrible. Here is a cool OEM Alpha Emblem available on eBay. I think these were only on the 2010 Alpha models.

"V8" ALPHA BADGE 09 10 HUMMER H3 LIMITED EDITION EMBLEM | eBay

Good luck!!!

Hairydawg 07-12-2012 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know the horns were ugly when I bought my '08 Hummer Monday, but this bull had only 17,000 miles on it and looked like new with a perfect CarFax. Just couldn't resist the beast.
I purchased the Alpha V8 shield today. It should fit over the holes for the horn mount very nicely. Should receive it early next week. I will post pics of the completed horn removal. No more "Horny Hummer". Thanks for the help and tip.
:cool:

Hairydawg 07-19-2012 09:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The horns have been amputated and here is the result. I think it turned out pretty good.

BTW: I have a nice set of horns for sale if anyone is interested! :D

RGray711 07-19-2012 08:59 PM

LOL that looks great.;)

stevek813 07-20-2012 08:13 AM

I agree that it looks pretty darn good. Since the Alpha V8 badge is just a strong sticker, did you put something in the holes left over from the bull horns?

I would be afraid of water getting in there and eventually starting a nice rust spot. Perhaps a little silicone caulk appled to the holes from the inside might work? Not sure if this is the best solution.

In any event, good riddance to the bull horns.

Hairydawg 07-20-2012 09:44 AM

Prior to sticking the plate on, I took a can of Krylon primer that I purchased, sprayed some into a cup and using a Q-tip, dabbed some primer on all the bare surfaces. Coming in from the underside where the holes are drilled and applying silicone may not be a bad idea. I will do that this weekend. Eventually I will probably have to get it repaired at a bodyshop, with rust being the main concern for me too. Keeping an eye on it, hopefully I can see it before it becomes a bigger problem. Shortterm....I think I may have the bull by the horns!! :D

V8-H3 07-20-2012 06:43 PM

Looks pretty good but I still would have went the body shop route.