PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Home Depot and Pep Boys - Customization heaven

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Default Home Depot and Pep Boys - Customization heaven

In the past I have made custom intake systems for my cars using materials from these wonderful man-stores (as my wife likes to call them). This weekend I'm going to take a stroll there and see if I can find any tubing or air ducts to cheaply eliminate the resonance filter box between the air intake and the throttle body. There has to be something out there. Then I'm going to buy myself some of that engine insulation that is supposed to block heat from being absorbed into whatever you wrap it around, and wrap whatever tubes and ducts I buy in it, also make a custom cover for the airbox that completely surrounds it with the stuff.

If I find an air duct material that is the same diameter as the original, I'm going to cut the hose/air box right after the MAF and connect a straight tube from there into the throttle body.

Last time I did this was on my Isuzu Rodeo. I used thick cardboard and duct tape to create the box, then cut the insulation to match every surface of the cover, in which I used more duct tape to tape the insulation to the box. I used thick wire ties to attach the rest of the pieces to the air intake vents. It may sound a little ghetto, but it looked nice, and believe it or not, it really did make a noticable difference.

When I had my Scion xB, I bought a couple of flexible radiator hoses from Pep Boys and attached them to the Air box intake where the hoses were sucking air from underneath the front bumper, and it kinda worked like Ram Air on the GM cars. I actually ended up doing it for a few other people since they liked it so much.

I'll take pics of my endevours and we'll see if it does one bit of good. I like doing these things and figuring out how to make something better, so it should be interesting. It's cheaper, and probably has the same effect if done properly. Obviously you have to make it as least-restrictive as possible for it to work and make a difference.

Please, if I am a fool for thinking this, let me know, but it has worked on my cars of the past.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Default RE: Home Depot and Pep Boys - Customization heaven

This is what you call Mickey Mouse.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:32 AM

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Your kidding right?

Old 08-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah you're right. After I read this back, I thought, do I really want to go through all this mess and waste my time? NOPE.

Let's just pretend I never posted this

Old 08-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Um, no I wasn't kidding.......

I will modify this post now in fear of embarrasment , or, I'll just keep it for comedic relief for someone having a bad day

Old 08-11-2006, 11:42 AM

Everyone!!!
All of Hummerguys posts were made by Bigwoods roommate on this thread. please disregard as it was a cruel joke. Admin please remove immediately!

Old 08-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Oh god. I read some of those posts by "bigwood" yesterday, specifically the whole seat belt thing. I didn't know who or what to believe. I am not anybody's roomate! I'm at work 12 to 14 hours a day. How do you think I have time to post on here I post in between calls to me saying "My Blackberry doesnt work" or "My cell phone doesn't work" or "My wireless on my laptop doesnt work and even though it's my router that is completely hosed you have to fix it because I say so"

Oh the joys of being the computer guy

Old 08-11-2006, 12:17 PM

Good luck, woody was cool, just a little to open. I miss him.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:21 PM

in all honesty, you could just take the top of the airbox off... it looks a hell of alot like the K&N FIPK unit, especially if you could fab up something that would keep the heat out better and replace the stupid flexable hose portion of the factory intake that looks like an acordian

Old 08-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

I did that this weekend. I kept the top off the air box and it did do some good, but like you said, was sucking in all the hot air from the engine. It would make more sense to design a shield to keep the heat out of the filter. I'll just do that instead

Quick Reply: Home Depot and Pep Boys - Customization heaven