PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Help on wiring?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Default Help on wiring?????

Hi guys!

great place you got here!

I just got a H3 for my wife (it's replacing her Mazda 3.... what a difference! she loves it)

Anyway, I got the GMAUX and the IPOD thing connected to the back of the radio so I can get my ipod thru the stereo with a direct connection. My problem is that I tapped the power of the ipod input unit to the cigarrette source and that's a continuos source of power. I need a wire that will get shut off once the key is removed from the steering colum so the ipod will go to sleep > shut down mode.

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks again!

Joel Pirela

Old 11-29-2006, 03:39 PM
Default RE: Help on wiring?????

I remember hearing that there are some wires that deal with towing a trailer also down by the gas pedal that you can tap into. I think those are switched off when the car is off. I'm not 100% sure though...just what I remember hearing.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:55 PM

I'll get you a wire color code for a wire near the radio by tonight, too busy to load the cd-rom right now.

but for now you can use the acc. red/white wire located in teh ignition harness under dash...here's a pic for ya:

Name:  hummerignitionwiring.jpg
Views: 6713
Size:  45.4 KB

Old 12-04-2006, 09:59 AM

Thanks!

Let me know if you can get a wire location behind the stock radio...

Thanks again!

Joel

Old 01-06-2007, 01:17 AM

ImportKiller:
I'm installing a set of reverse parking sensors so I can see / hear things behind that Ginormous tire. It suggest tapping into the ignition pwr wire for the front 2 sensors and the reverse back up lights for the 4 rear sensors. I just wanted to confirmthe ingnition pwr wireis the White/Green wire from your picture? That way when I turn the ignition on the sensors will come on.

I saw another message that said the manual mentions the Light Green Wire at the trailer hookupfor the back-up lamps (p4-69). Does this jive with the diagrams? Any other suggestions? Sould I rummage into the side pannels where the rear backup lamps are for a pwr wire? Thanks.

Where did you get those wiring DVD anyway? Thanks for the info.

Jimmy V

[IMG]local://upfiles/1648/BFE98E2DAE60485E951D8CCEB83D663B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-06-2007, 01:49 AM

yes the wire in the picture is the ignition wire...you only need to use the acc. wire as that will give you power when the key is in the on or run position. Teh reverse wire you mention is correct also I believe. I think that is the wire I used when I hooked up my reverse lights. just use a test light or make one, put the e-brake on and the key in the on position with the truck not running. Then put the trans into reverse and test all the pins in the stock trailer plug, you should get two or three with juice. Write down which ones. Then put the trans into park and test again....one of the pins that you have written down will now not have any power....that is your reverse power lead. Just follow the pin to the back of the plug and look at what wire is connected to it...tap into that wire and your all done

Old 01-07-2007, 10:43 PM

So I spliced into the White/Green wire and ended up running into some pwr issues. Turns out I had just not seated the fuse box properly during my tinkering to find a good place to splice into. Well during my frantic 4 letter word outbursts I ended up calling the dealership (Perrine, Central NJ) and talked with a tech. He basically scared me to death by saying I had triggered the security passlock and my warranty was going to be void on my 5K mile baby. Long story short, I removed the splice from the White/Green wire and later that day I fixed the pwr problem by reseating the ignition. The tech mentioned some other available wires under the dash for 12v sources. Any advice? Will that White/Green ignition wire cause me problems with the passlock? From your previous message, you said I should use the acc wire (White/Red), right? Just wondering. It's been a while since I've installed stuff like this and it surely wasn't on a brand new vehicle! Thanks for all the help.

Jimmy V

Old 01-08-2007, 04:19 PM

STAY AWAY FROM THE IGNITION WIRE!!!!!! Use the acc wire for +12V switched...Igntion wire is labeled there for remote start installation purposes only. trying to use the ignition wire as a power source will mess with passlock.