PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP PLEASE. Issues starting my H3

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Default HELP PLEASE. Issues starting my H3

Ok, so I've had my 08 H3 for over a year now, has 95k on it. Last 4 months or so I haven't been using the key remote for the alarm bc the plastic piece brokeoff not allowing me to have it on my keychain, so I just have been getting in and out and locking it with my main key. Well yesterday it decides to not crank at all when I turn the key fully over. All the electronics on the console stay on, radio can be played, the only thing that stays illuminunated is the engine outline in orange and the security anti theft system that blinks with the red lock around the car logo.
So I'm guessing it's something to do with the anti theft system? As I did get it to start after I had my wife bring up the keyless remote to my work, but I think that was just because 10 minutes had elapsed and it cranked right on up. My question is I thought from what I read in the owners manual the pass lock or whatever its called actually gets the engine to start than the engine dies within 5-10 seconds. Instead of getting no crank or noise at all. I have search a few articles on here, but I really need some more direction. I really would appreciate what someone thinks is the answer here. Bc it happened again this morning it cranked right up, I went to the store to get groceries, came out, and wouldn't turn on. Waited about 10 minutes and cranked right on up. How do I get this fixed? Is there something I can reset? Check certain fuses? Or it must be serviced my a mechanic? Thanks in advance and Happy Turkey Day everyone

Old 11-28-2013, 10:45 AM
qui

That sounds like passlock to me. I had it happen to me several times (it will still crank, but not start, and it seems to happen more often when I'm in a hurry and I try to start the car quickly) As a temporary fix, when I get in, I turn the key to the position just before where it cranks (so the lights and everything come on), then I wait a few seconds, then crank it.

As far as I know, the only way to fix it is to have your PCM tuned and ask them to disable passlock.

Hope that helps,
-qui

Old 11-28-2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by qui
That sounds like passlock to me. I had it happen to me several times (it will still crank, but not start, and it seems to happen more often when I'm in a hurry and I try to start the car quickly) As a temporary fix, when I get in, I turn the key to the position just before where it cranks (so the lights and everything come on), then I wait a few seconds, then crank it.

As far as I know, the only way to fix it is to have your PCM tuned and ask them to disable passlock.

Hope that helps,
-qui
Thanks man, that's the thing, mine won't crank or make any noise at all, just turn the key to no noise or anything. So besides getting a new ECU thats programmed what are my other options to get this disabled?

Old 11-28-2013, 04:18 PM

isn't this a key problem sometime?

key worn from use?

Old 11-28-2013, 10:01 PM

You can replace let tumbler in steering column. I just disabled pass lock with pcm program

Old 11-29-2013, 10:28 AM

I agree, it sounds like the paslock system. We have had a few here in the past with this problem. Just make friends with your local Chevy dealer to confirm.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:17 PM

Sounds like passlock for sure. I've had two incidents with my 2006 h3, where the passlock system prevents me from starting the vehicle. Both times were in the winter (once last year, once this year) and it was from shutting off the car, getting out, then immediately jumping back in to start it up.

Each time I waited about 15 minutes or so and it would start up fine.