PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New thoughts on performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Default New thoughts on performance upgrades

OK, gentlemen, let's talk!

I was discussing some ideas with my tech yesterday about performance upgrades. He acknowledged that various things have been accomplished for other diesel engines, such as exhaust reconfigurations, turbo enhancements, fuel injector upgrades and ECM tuners, but he's not had personal experience with the 6.5TD in the realm of upgrades.
Who has had experience with any of these, and what effect could any of these have on the drive train?
What if you addressed one of these and not the others, i.e., putting an exhaust that allows a much freer flow, and not addressing the turbo? Would it cause the turbo to spin too fast?
Improving the injectors, but nothing else?

I'm thinking that any action has consequences, some of which may NOT be positive...

Comments???

Dan

Old 10-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

The 6.5TD is not a great motor for performance upgrades. Even some of the offroad teams that have used them have struggled to get 300HP out of them. Some aftermarket groups claim some pretty amazing gains but AM General can't reproduce them nor can the teams trying to race with that motor. Independent test results have been promised but I have never seen them. Now the 6.6 Duramax motor does have significant upside from a performance standpoint. If you want big improvements a change in basic motor may be required. Don't forget you are trying to increase performance on an 8000# brick.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:46 PM

I just traded a mountain mover of a Duramax in and have been working on the military H1's for the better part of 10 years. You'll never gain any noticable power out of the Detroit 6.2,6.5, or 6.5 Turbo. It's possable to get very good mileage out of it and it's a very reliable mill but thats it's end game. You want power swap in a LBZ Duramax with an allison 1000 or ZF 6 speed if you can find one. Get the appropriate gauges (Boost, EGT, Rail Press) some simple bolt ons (Turbo back exhaust, CAI, Turbo, Intercooler, lift pump, and upgraded trans guts) then get tuning software, myself and 99.9% of the Duramax world stand by EFI Live. Then hang onto your hat, bra straps, what ever you have to grab cause you'll be flyin in no time. In all seriousness just the drivetrain swap will be a big shock to you, going from 250hp and 400ftlb's to 400hp and 575ftlbs is a huge jump.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:44 PM

Very helpful info!

Right now, I'd better not consider a major drivetrain swap, lest I also consider being committed to a loony bin!

At this point, I'd welcome any improvement in performance or economy, but NOT any compromise in reliability!
Some performance groups (I won't mention any names-I'd rather not put anyone on the spot) claim that they can get a noticeable improvement from the 6.5TD, even without investing multiple 1000s of $$$. This now sounds unrealistic.

If that is the case, what is realistic for improving efficiency?

And, speaking of reliability, is there a reasonable argument for increasing sump capacity for the tranny, or putting heat sink/fin covers on the diffs and/or hubs???

Any thoughts on improving filtration for oil or fuel?

Any improvements would be great!

Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

There is a dual filter replacement for the single oil filter set up but I have never run it. My oil and filters get changed often and I didn't see the need. If you replace your filters per the schedule or better you shouldn't have issues. Since lots of my use is harder than average my service intervals are generally shorter than factory recommendations.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:43 AM

OK...
Anyone care to expound on HOW to make the H1 more efficient? Would a tuner help in any way, and not compromise performance?? Any other ideas??

Old 10-19-2012, 07:01 AM

I don't think there is any programmers per say for the 6.5T. There isn't much on those engines that's electronically controlled, it's more mechanical than anything much like an old 12V Cummins

Old 10-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

djadds,

Get used to enjoying the quality time you have in your H1. Enjoys the sights as you cruise by. Revel in the quiet that the diesel motor and rattles provide by drowning out the noise from the wife and kids. Bask in the solitude of the driver's seat where no one can touch you...from either inside or outside the vehicle, enjoy the fact that no one but you can reach the radio or temperature controls. The H1 is a man's dream vehicle, enjoy the extra time you get to spend in it due to the 6.5TD motor.

And if you really want more of this quality time get yourself an H1 with an NA motor.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:38 PM

Thanks, 3hummers!
I needed that! ;-)
You do help to keep me properly 'grounded'!
Being a newbie, I do occasionally go through some growing pains (learning curve?).
It's always helpful to listen to some sage advise, put things in proper perspective, and just relax...

Old 10-22-2012, 12:49 AM

In all seriousness, a K&N type air filter replacement will help both performance and economy a little, also believe it or not tires play a big role in both as well, rolling resistance, weight, and tread pattern are all factors to be considered.

Quick Reply: New thoughts on performance upgrades