PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 tail light guards

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Default H3 tail light guards

FYI, I just wrote an email to Steelcraft about their tail light guards for the H3. I really like these guards but a "squeeking" started up and i was working to find out what was going on.

Following up on our previous correspondence, I wanted to make you aware of an issue that you can provide some information on and/or work on in P&D.
When the H3 tail light guard brackets were installed at the dealer, a loud "squeeking" subsequently developed. Initially we thought it might be the rubber "stops" rubbing on the tail light lens and corresponding H3 body and something that I was going to have to "deal with" or remove. However, after several attempts troubleshooting this issue for the past month, with adding various felt tape pieces and the like, we've found that the "squeeking" actually originates from the vertical attachment brackets from each tail light guard rubbing against the inside of the door edge. The brackets arerubbing along the door edgingof both the inside of the door and the powder coat of the bracket.
If you've come across this issue, I'd like to be knowledgable of what your resulting remedy has turned out. If not, it certainly warrants a review. Please advise.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Default RE: H3 tail light guards

i have a piar of steelcraft on my h3 and so far i have not had a problem,i installed them myself and have had them on for about 8 months now.i have the stainless steel ones.make sure everything is tightly secured or maybe its something else not sure good luck

Old 01-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Default RE: H3 tail light guards

I had the same issue and found that the two screws (that hold the tailight in on the side where you open up the rear cargo door) had pulled out of the frame a bit causing the whole tailight assembly to be slightly loose and move around (along with the light guard) and rub (squeak) during driving on most roads (that are not silk smooth). After investigation and trying to tighten the screws, I found that it was actually the metal retainers (that the screws go into) that had pulled slightlly loose from the body frame. (so, tightening up the screws did nothing, it actually made the problem worse). So, I have ordered some new retainers from GM parts (very inexpensive) and I'm going to fix. In the meantime, I placed a small piece of duct tape over the tail light guard (black) where it was rubbing on my tail gate door. I can't see the piece of duct tape from outside with the door closed, and it is just enough to protect the door from rubbing on the light guard bracket until I am able to fully secure the tail light assembly back into the frame with the upper screw. Note that the lower screw did not pull out, just the upper one. Mabe has something to do with the rear door being slammed shut too hard, not sure, or maybe I over tightened the screws upon installation of the guards.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:00 PM

Mine scrubbed the door on the driver side. A few good whacks with a rubber hammer to adjust the angles of the bracket, and all was good. My favorite saying is, "What would Jesse James do?" It seems to work 4 me every time I have a problem.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Nuklhed
Mine scrubbed the door on the driver side. A few good whacks with a rubber hammer to adjust the angles of the bracket, and all was good. My favorite saying is, "What would Jesse James do?" It seems to work 4 me every time I have a problem.
Would Jesse James reply to an 11 year old thread with members who probably no longer exist or even still own an H3?

Old 07-01-2019, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator