PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 Sunroof Drain Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 05:05 PM
Default H3 Sunroof Drain Tubes

As most everyone that owns a Hummer has experienced, after a night of heavy rain, I was often welcomed by my 2008 H3 Alpha with sopping wet carpets on the passenger and drivers side foot wells! Generally I am diligent about keeping the tubes clear, but spring here in Indiana brings casings from tree buds and what we in Indiana call "whirly gigs", evergreen needles etc, falling heavily from everywhere. There have been numerous solutions to the problem shared on various forums. Most involve removing interior covers and fender well shields from the vehicle. Then finding the connections, making sure they haven't come apart, taking the tubes out and using an air gun to clean them out, then cutting the "X" out of the middle of the rubber to metal connector, then reassembling everything! Not something everyone is willing (or capable) of doing.

After having to suck up 1/2" of water from my H3 Alpha and my wife's H3 Luxury, I came ip with a simple solution that required NO disassembly of the interior access panels in your Hummer.

Yep.... Coarse ScotchBrite material.....

STEP 1

After thoroughly cleaning the tubes with compressed air (not an air tool blow gun because to much PSI will blow your drain tubes apart) I then configured my ShopVac by reducing the hose down to the same size as the opening in the sunroof drain holes:

Canned air is safer, as you don't want to blow the RUBBER/VINYL hose off of the metal connetor tube. I used a metal tube slightly smaller than the diameter of the drain opening that I had laying around. Make sure it forms a good seal to force air past the X cut in the center of the connection. There is a connector between the metal and Rubber connector that joins the tubing and is located further down the tube (why Hummer did that God only knows). The metal tube conveniently fits over the canned air nozzle and created a good seal. This usually cleans out most plugged tubes.

It didn't work in this instance as enough debris had piled into the X connector that is wasn't blowing the gunk out.

PART 2

I found a piece of tube that was a bit smaller then my ShopVac hose. Wrapped it in tape to create a snug fit and was lucky that it had a threaded hole that I could insert the cut off nozzle off of a tube of caulking! I know you won't have the same large tube identical to what I scrounged up, but I'm sure that you can JerriRig a similar adapter that reduces from 1 1/2" Vacuum hose down to the caulking nozzle. . As for the caulking nozzle, everyone usually has an old tube of caulking of laying around. Cut the nozzle tip small enough to insert into the drain tube openings in the sunroof and make a good seal. I then inserted the metal "reducer" into my ShopVac hose, then inserted the caulking nose into the metal reducer. You can figure out how to do your own method of reducing to the diameters you need. What the result is, you can NOW place the reduced nozzle into the drain tube and then switch on your ShopVac. You wouldn't believe the snotty gunk that came out of those drain tubes!!! To check to see if the tubes are clear, pour clear water into the sunroof channel and make sure the tubes are running clear without any obstructions. If still clogged and you don't see water near both front tires, REPEAT the process. Depending on how badly your drain tubes are clogged, it might take 2 times to clear them. When the drain tubes are allowing the water to be drained quickly, use a damp cloth to clean the sunroof channel area to remove any gunk, trash or debris from as much of that catch area as possible. Do the same with the sunroof gasket and where the gasket seals against the metal area around the sunroof. This makes for a better seal and reduces water impregnating into the sunroof! When done, proceed to step #3.

Step 3

Using either ScotchBrite pad material or open cell foam (like used as filters on your ShopVac) cut 2 small pieces that are larger then the openings to the drain tubes in the sunroof as shown in the photo below:

I found the ScotchBrite was a little more stiff and easier to insert into the drain tube opening. MAKE SURE YOU CUT THEM IN A "T" SHAPE as shown or they will get lost in the openings and you will have to fish them out of the tubes! The "T" shape keeps them from doing that. Proceed to Step 5

STEP 5

Once inserted, the ScotchBrite acts as a filter element and traps debris from entering the drain tubes but allowing water to drain through and NO MORE CLOGGED tubes! It is a quick and simple process to simple remove the "PLUG FILTERS" place them under running water to clean, or make extras when making your filters and simply throw away the old and replace with new ones.

IT"S A FAST, CHEAP and easy solution the doesn't require taking your interior apart, wrestling with trying to get your hands into tiny areas access points to blindly reach the drain tubes. After your initial cleaning, you can be done in under 5 minutes after you initially get things set up and clean.

We haven't had wet carpets since doing this!!

Hope at least one person is helped by this. Hope it wasn't overly wordy and illustrated!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK.......... Let me know if it works for you!

Old 05-10-2019, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you Max.

I do not know why or who, but somebody moderated this post (which hides it from members) so I approved it to share. Might have been automated as your post uses several brand names like somebody trying to sell something, but there is nothing wrong with the content of your post.

Carry on people, enjoy.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:49 PM
Default Drain tubes

I noticed mine the other day after a heavy rain. Fortunately for me it drips directly onto my weathertech floor mats instead of the carpet.but im still going to do this. Thanks doc

Old 05-16-2019, 02:14 PM

I like it! Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:51 PM

Thanks for this helpful post

Old 07-11-2019, 01:08 PM

great idea! I just got fuel line attached to hard plastic and shoved through firewall

Old 07-19-2019, 12:13 PM

Thanks for posting and will definitely attempt as my rig has sopping wet driver and passenger side floor boards. Apparently last owner ignore the wet floor boards, no rust. For now I am attempting to complete most of the regular maintenance items previous own did not do.

Bought an 08' H3 with 99k miles on it an even with all the small issues I am still enjoying the rig.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:27 AM

Mine always dripped down the electronics on right side causing me tons of grief