Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H3 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/)
-   -   H3 Steering Shaft Help (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/h3-steering-shaft-help-40014/)

jamosdad 07-20-2018 10:14 AM

H3 Steering Shaft Help

Hi everyone,
New H3 owner, 2006 adventure model. My intermediate/lower steering shaft ujoints have play causing clunking and such. I’m trying to find out the size to replace it with a better u joint or shaft from Borgesons.
Does anyone know the size of the ujoint to the intermediate/lower shaft. I’ve been given 2-3 different ones and I’m not sure. Or is there a better option?
thanks

Doc Olds 07-20-2018 10:45 AM

Welcome to HF.

MOVED your thread as the New Member Section is not for tech questions, says so at the top of the section.

You would be best served by replacing it with the AC Delco GM part. H3s have StabiliTrack which includes a yaw sensor. Get that steering shaft out of spec, you will have a world of self inflicted trouble.

In mid 2007 GM redesigned the intermediate shaft, so any replacement you buy will be better than what you have now (unless the prior owner already updated that shaft through the dealer by way of the GM TSB under warranty).

jamosdad 07-20-2018 04:39 PM

Thanks for the help and sorry about posting in the wrong group. Now after digging into it more it seems like the noise and play may be further up the shaft. There’s a bit of play near the u joints, but it almost seems as if the clunking is right where the shaft and the floor come together. Maybe a spring or something.
Thanks again for the advice I’ll probably order the gm part tonight

woodwardsh3 07-20-2018 07:58 PM

There are 2 shafts there. Mine did the same thing. Replace both shafts and all will be good again. I bought both off of ebay and they were AC Delco parts. It really would not be worth trying to piece something together.

jamosdad 07-22-2018 11:39 AM

Thanks for the help. When I had my mechanic listening it seemed to benin the car, but I’ll probably do just that.

WR3NCHE4D 07-23-2018 10:54 PM

Buy AC Delco steering shafts. I put Dorman ones in and after screwing with the toe adjustments the shafts prematurely failed. Designed after the the first shafts and not the replaced TSB shafts.

paulattanasio 09-23-2023 10:25 AM

Just pulled this out after doing the search. I need to replace my intermediate or lower steering shaft, not sure what you would call it but it is the lowest part of the steering shaft. Does anyone know of any videos out there on how to do it? Mine is a 2006 H3 5.3 engine.
Thanks,
Paul.

Doc Olds 09-25-2023 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by paulattanasio (Post 403902)
Just pulled this out after doing the search. I need to replace my intermediate or lower steering shaft, not sure what you would call it but it is the lowest part of the steering shaft. Does anyone know of any videos out there on how to do it? Mine is a 2006 H3 5.3 engine.
Thanks,
Paul.

That's just great Paul. Should we all pat you on the back for digging up this OLD Thread you seem to have proudly dug up from the dead? They did not make any 2006 5.3 engines. ;) How about a Google it?

Skip the parading Old Azzed Threads and ask a brand New Question instead. READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping'