PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 Problem - Alarm Sounds Constantly, and radio is on, with no key inside!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Stryder
Two days ago, we started having issues with our Hummer H3 (2006).

The alarm sounds ALL THE TIME, and when you check it, the radio is on and playing! No key in the ignition, with it in "OFF".

When you open the door, it chimes, like there's a key inside.

Anybody else have this problem, or have a suggestion? Turning the radio off doesn't help!

OnStar said nothing.
I experienced the same question recently. The alarm sound woke me up one day at 5:30am, thought someone was breaking into my car Do you know how much does it cost to fix the faulty ignition switch? Thanks!

Old 03-27-2014, 03:30 AM

Just starting having this issue too. And the interior lights won't turn off. I have a sunroof with leaky tubes as well with water dimming out of the OnStar speaker hole. Might have a "multiple problem" scenario here. Hope it doesn't kill the battery.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:56 PM

Similar issue here..

2007 H3, Viper Alarm

It started with my key-fob alerting me to random sensors tripping. (Hood opened, door opened) But, the vehicle alarm wasn't going off and the key-fob would chirp at me. The morning this happened, I had water coming out of the OnStar microphone vent. I had been mudding a few days previous and we get a lot of rain up here in Washington State. The sunroof was filled with water and from previous threads I had known to clean the tubes. I didn't, because I didn't have anything I could use. Instead I soaked up the water with a sponge and that was that.

Jump to that night and the alarm goes off at 0200. By 0400, the police were knocking on my door and we were trying to turn the alarm off. My key-fob was low on power, but I did notice the alarm was unarmed the whole night. I tried to disarm the alarm but the alarm would not respond to the command. My key-fob died during the process. At first I thought it was the Viper Alarm causing the issue. Somehow, we managed to silence it without disconnecting the battery.

That morning, I tried to start it up and go to work. The vehicle started up, but the alarm sounded as well. (Headlights/dash lights flashing, siren wailing) It wouldn't respond to key-fob commands to disarm it. I finally disconnected the battery. I reconnected the when I tried to re-pair a new key-fob to the Viper Alarm Control System. The pairing failed. Using the old key-fob, recharged with power, I tried again and again to start the vehicle. I attempted to jump the vehicle as well. With my door open and no key in the ignition; I would get an audible door chime and my radio would stay on. I finally disconnected the battery.

Failing all this, I called in a friend who works at Best Buy who installed the alarm system. He came out and discovered water where the Viper Alarm bypass switch connects to the interface. It is his assumption that water may have damaged the H3's computer and that is why everything is acting crazy. He disconnected everything after market and suggested that I take it to the dealership.

I am searching now for a dealership and will update when possible.

Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated. I had thought about touching POSITIVE to NEGATIVE as the first suggestion stated, but then I read how it will erase the codes. The dealership will probably want those..

Any thoughts?

Old 04-25-2014, 03:11 AM

My problem ended up being leaks from the sunroof on the drivers side behind the dash. Fixed the drain tubes and blow dries all behind the dash and haven't had the problem since. If you have a sun room youust do the drain tube clean and modification.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HawaiianH3
Just starting having this issue too. And the interior lights won't turn off. I have a sunroof with leaky tubes as well with water dimming out of the OnStar speaker hole. Might have a "multiple problem" scenario here. Hope it doesn't kill the battery.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:46 AM

With the water coming out of the OnStar microphone and reading these forums I knew to check the drain tubes as well. I took a thin wire hanger to the drain tubes and thought I had unclogged them, but they're still not flowing well enough to drain the sunroof track.

I took everything apart under the driver's side and blow-dried the carpets the best I could. The wiring was all dry by the time we took the aftermarket things out. I found the "final solution" to the sunroof drain tubes. I plan on conducting the modification to the "X" in the grommet/drain tube when I get home tonight.

Last edited by smpfalzer; 04-25-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:15 PM

I too know the unexpected rainfall inside my Hummer H3. I plan on doing the grommet fix Thursday. I am just curious why are we all in the same boat not holding GM accountable?
If so many of us have this issue that is costing us time and money why are they not issuing a recall for the drain tube grommets?

Old 07-28-2015, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Avgjoe
I know the unexpected rainfall inside my Hummer H3. I am just curious why are we all in the same boat not holding GM accountable? So many of us have this issue that is costing us time and money....
My guess is we have all turned in to BIG Wussies. Look at our Government being run by Obama. Nothing is ever accomplished and we are given a load of BS. Trump was right that we all just choose to keep quiet and never complain or speak up anymore. I hope this changes when Trump is the next president. Ford Motor Company had planned to build a huge new $300M plant in Tennessee then they just up and left for Mexico robing Americans of potential good paying stable jobs to raise decent families.

It's one BIG joke that GM ignores Hummer Owners!

I'm embarrassed to own my H3, and one day when I begin to have serious problems, I will trade her in for Jeep SRT or Toyota Tundra!

Last edited by H3Ray; 07-28-2015 at 02:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Avgjoe
I too know the unexpected rainfall inside my Hummer H3. I plan on doing the grommet fix Thursday. I am just curious why are we all in the same boat not holding GM accountable?
If so many of us have this issue that is costing us time and money why are they not issuing a recall for the drain tube grommets?
AVOID digging up OLD THREADS!!!!!!!! https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/n...bumping-23220/

First, it's a maintenance item. If you let your drain tubes fill up with chit and do not bother ever cleaning them, you can force a leak. Kinda like saying, I can't see out my windows I have not washed in 5 years, it's somebody else s fault.

Check out how bankruptcy works.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 07-28-2015 at 08:24 AM.