Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   h3 oem radios (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/h3-oem-radios-24107/)

ironbike1@q.com 05-16-2011 08:32 PM

h3 oem radios

i have an h3 2007 with a oem radio in it, i purchased another
2007 h3 oem radio with the upgrade indash 6 cd am/fm xm option
i want to put it in mine but i can't get an answer from 3 dealers
may not be asking the right questions. i just want know if its going to
work. gm part #15786124

2wheelmonster 05-16-2011 09:31 PM

doesn't your h3 2007 already have the indash 6 cd am/fm xm option already in it, I believe that it does already, and if you check the part numbers for the same years and the same model, my guess is that you will find that for your 2007 h3 that it will work in your h3 2007....

drtom 05-16-2011 09:48 PM

radios are theft protected. need to be reprogrammed for the new vin no.,,assuming its not on the stolen list!!

if both radios look alike,,they are!

ironbike1@q.com 05-16-2011 11:21 PM

more oem questions

my 2007 hummer h3 came with the single cd am/fm
no xm thats why i wanted to put the upgrade 6 cd player
am/fm xm capability, that why i wanted to change it out
(the dealer)

Bunger 05-17-2011 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by ironbike1@q.com (Post 250316)
my 2007 hummer h3 came with the single cd am/fm
no xm thats why i wanted to put the upgrade 6 cd player
am/fm xm capability, that why i wanted to change it out
(the dealer)

Are you sure that it doesn't have XM?
I have a 2007 H3 Base model. My radio is a single CD AM/FM/XM
Have you scrolled thru the BAND button? Mine goes FM - FM - AM - XM1 - XM2.

jvorpahl 05-17-2011 12:11 PM

I am 95% sure that I don't think it'll work b/c the base radio has an internal amp that drives the speakers. The 6 disc is designed to work w/the monsoon so it only has a preamp. The external amp drives the speakers. Also the radio harnesses are 100% different between the single disc and 6 disc so you have a huge issue w/that. Best bet is to keep the single disc and buy and XM radio controller. I know it sucks b/c it isn't integrated into you stereo but that is the easiest. If you have extra money buy a double din Cd/DVD unit that is satellite ready (will cost about $400 and up) and purchase the xm satellite add on (usually runs about $80 for most brands).

Also I don't think the XM reciever is in the radio itself. According to the wiring diagrams it's on the right hand dash side. It's called the digital radio reciever. The radio is just XM ready and you need the digital radio reciever to get XM. I've never looked at mine in person so I can't say for sure but it looks like a seperate unit on the wiring diagrams. Can someone confirm this?

EDIT: You can also get a XM ready single din cd player for a lot cheaper than a double din but IMHO it won't look as good.

- Jason

Broken Halo 05-17-2011 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by jvorpahl (Post 250350)
I've never looked at mine in person so I can't say for sure but it looks like a seperate unit on the wiring diagrams. Can someone confirm this?

- Jason

Confirmed......the harness going from the separate unit to the radio are the wires you can splice into to hook up an input jack for a MP3 player. There was a recent thread on the subject.;)

ironbike1@q.com 05-17-2011 09:07 PM

thanks for the input guys, i'll try your other suggestions

Doc Olds 05-18-2011 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by jvorpahl (Post 250350)
I am 95% sure that I don't think it'll work b/c the base radio has an internal amp that drives the speakers. The 6 disc is designed to work w/the monsoon so it only has a preamp. The external amp drives the speakers. Also the radio harnesses are 100% different between the single disc and 6 disc so you have a huge issue w/that. Best bet is to keep the single disc and buy and XM radio controller. I know it sucks b/c it isn't integrated into you stereo but that is the easiest. If you have extra money buy a double din Cd/DVD unit that is satellite ready (will cost about $400 and up) and purchase the xm satellite add on (usually runs about $80 for most brands).

Also I don't think the XM reciever is in the radio itself. According to the wiring diagrams it's on the right hand dash side. It's called the digital radio reciever. The radio is just XM ready and you need the digital radio reciever to get XM. I've never looked at mine in person so I can't say for sure but it looks like a seperate unit on the wiring diagrams. Can someone confirm this?

EDIT: You can also get a XM ready single din cd player for a lot cheaper than a double din but IMHO it won't look as good.

- Jason

Originally Posted by Broken Halo (Post 250354)
Confirmed......the harness going from the separate unit to the radio are the wires you can splice into to hook up an input jack for a MP3 player. There was a recent thread on the subject.;)

Good stuff guys, right on. I researched all this years ago and this is about as far as I got. All you need to know on the subject. :D

Bullwheel 05-18-2011 09:55 PM

Ok...something to think about:

I have a 2007H3 and mine came with a single CD player and Monsoon speaker system!

Just a recommendation:
If you change, then to aftermarket systems what usually are of better performance.
Why play around with 6CD changer? ...buy an I-pod and use this one...!