PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Switched Positive power lead location.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Default Need Switched Positive power lead location.

I'm installing some electronics (again) and need to know if there are any ignition-switched power wires other then the mirror and radio power leads somewhere under the dash where I don't have to take the dashboard apart to get to.

I know where the trailor one is but that is hot all the time. I need one to tap into for my GPS that is only hot when the ignition is on. This is a very low-power drawing plug so it doesn't need alot. I was powering my GPS charger and my radar detector all from the mirror power with no problems, but I don't want to take all that back apart to tap into it again. I'm trying to be a little more organized with the wiring.

If anybody knows of one and where it's located along with the color(s), let me know. Thanks!

Old 02-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need Switched Positive power lead location.

I THINK the Pin 16 12V+ wire on the H3's OBDII port is only active during ignition. I'll test that. I'll probably use that if it's switched.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:44 AM

Name:  hummerignitionwiring.jpg
Views: 5047
Size:  45.4 KB

Old 02-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Where is that plug? Is it in the steering column or behind it? How much current can you draw without shorting it out?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:13 AM

that should be under teh dash near the steering column....current shouldn't matter cause you should be using a relay in anything your adding anyway, just use that wire to trigger (energize) the relay and your good to go as big as you want.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

The first time I started using relay's was the older generation Radio Shack ones. They were 25A. I had that one burn out on me with half the load, and then found that everybody was having those same problems with their relays.

They found that the company making them was for **** so they switched to a new company. The new ones work great. I haven't had a problem yet.

Do you have any suggestions for a good relay, or should I just stick with the Radio Shack ones?

I'm so conditioned to using direct taps, I didn't even think about the relays. Thanks Mike for your help.

Is there some kind of master relay panel you can buy for connecting all of your gadgets or do you just stick with a separate relay with a separate power block?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:39 AM

you can use a power distabution block if you have a crapload of stuff to add...but for most stuff it's not needed. I use bosch fuses and never had a problem with em....I think I got 50 of for like $15 on ebay last year/

Old 02-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

I just saw that on ebay. You can buy a crap load of them for nothing. I may just do that. I only need one or two at the most, so I'll probably just march my happy *** over to Radio Shack and get some today. I already have one at home from the infamous light bar that I can use

Old 02-05-2008, 10:14 AM

you can always use a fuse tap (add-a-circuit) for the easiest install if your not installing something witha big amp draw.

these are really awesome and simple to work with....most people don't even know about them.

they are great, they reatain your stock fuse without adding amp draw to it and gives you a fused wire lead...talk about plug and play...just don't get any easier.

Name:  addacircuit.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  5.6 KB

Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

That's awesome. I didn't even know they existed

Can you get those at any auto parts store, like Pep Boys, etc? Unfortunately all we have around here is Auto Zone and Advance Auto Parts, both which have hardly anything. I have to drive 10 miles just to get to a Pep Boys.

I was just going to use the trailor B+ power lead under the dash. I thought that would be easiest. That's what I was using for my AC power inverter.

Quick Reply: Need Switched Positive power lead location.