Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Replacing the Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 06:42 PM
Default Replacing the Muffler

Guys, I got a big hole in the muffler and its been getting bigger for a couple of years now it used to just make a rattling noise but now the exhaust is getting louder and I am getting ready to replace it. I just want to replace the muffler if I can but was wondering for any suggestions? I see rockauto has a Wagner exhaust that is pretty cheap but was told once its better to get a higher quality exhaust to not have to replace it often? My other concern is does replacing the muffler in the 2006 H3 (5 cylinder luxury) require welding? or is it all bolt on? If welding is required then I may have to get a real mechanic to do this for me because I do not think purchasing a welding machine makes sense.

Last edited by Raffi76; 02-07-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

If you buy a CAT back exhaust they are all bolt on using the existing OEM hangers.

Many brands available: MagnaFlow, Gibson, Borla, Billy Boat, GM Performance (if you can find one)...... and more

If you just do a muffler, go to an exhaust shop, there will be welding.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:24 PM

So as I was cleaning the snow I decided to look under the car and noticed the muffler has completely snapped off right behind the muffler body, at the point where it is held by the arm attached to the car. If its already cut off is there a way to just attach a new one and tighten with clamps?

Old 02-09-2017, 06:26 PM

ok I think I figured it out myself, was able to get the muffler out with a little elbow grease and found in order to skip the need to weld I will need to replace the muffler and the resonator. Still much cheaper then taking it to an auto shop.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:15 PM

So was able to replace the resonator and muffler, took me about 3 hours to get old ones off (all rusted and had hard time getting the room to cut them off). Took about 10 minutes to put new ones on although they did not provide nuts to attach the new resonator to the cat so had a nightmare trying to find them locally. The issue is that now that's it all attached there is a tiny drip of water from where the cat attaches to resonator.... The cat is old and rusted and possibly tiny bit warped so I don't think I can get it any tighter, actually sure as one nut may already be all they way in and spinning (stripped). Is it ok to leak from this area slightly? this is just after I connected the new parts and started to see how it works. Everything seems to work ok other then the leak.