PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 - Electrical Issues, Stability System failure warning light, rough idle etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Question H3 - Electrical Issues, Stability System failure warning light, rough idle etc.

I need help from whomever can offer some advice to me, I'm sunk in my H3. I love it's look and the way it drives, but I'm plagued with problems. Please see at the bottom of my post my H3's history if it would be helpful.

I own a 2007 Hummer H3. Bought it certified used at Hummer (now just Cadillac and Saab) dealership. I will have owned it one year on Tuesday (4/19). It's door tag says it's a 11/06, but it's still a 2007 model. I know below there are a lot of questions... BUT PLEASE HELP ME!

Most plaguing issue: Rough Idle - I have been reading this forum for the past 4 hours and I've deduced that either I have a cylinder head issue or a coil pack issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Since my VIN falls within the bad head VIN #s, it could definitely be it. I had an auto shop look at my issue since I'm about 10k out of my bumper to bumper warranty. At this time, the check engine light was on. Codes that come back 101, 300 and 171. So, they cleaned Mass Air Flow censor, reset TPMS. They then tested and found cylinder #2 missfiring at idle. Swapped #2 for #4 coil and plug. Missfire stayed on 2. So can someone tell me if this points to the head or the coil pack problem?

H3 still rough idles almost always, specially on first start, check engine light sometimes comes on and sometimes it doesn't.

Next big issue: Today (4/14/11) I'm driving down the highway at about 55 mph. I was traveling at a constant speed, no braking, dry pavement and my car starts beeping and says Traction Failed; Service Stab Sys (Stability System). I have no idea why this is happening. Any thoughts?

So I've started thinking about the issue this morning, and I do have wiring issues, stemming all the way back to July with antenna problems. had horrible static on the radio. The dealership (H3 under warranty) switched out the antenna mast. Then in October the battery died, and the dealership (H3 NOT under warranty) replaced the battery and (unknowingly to me) replaced the housing and wiring too. Also, the lights in the driver's door for lock and windows change when I shift my shifter. Shifting from Park to Drive, sometimes I start with all lights on and then shift to D and three remain on. It's pretty random, no set pattern.

In addition, my passenger side front speaker in the door goes in an out, doesn't always play. Lastly, sometimes on the highway I hear static and power off my radio, and the static remains. It sounds like its coming from the windshield, and it doesn't sound like wind.

So now I'm thinking I need to have my switches, battery connections and modules looked at. (This is what I've picked up from reading other posts.) Any thoughts on these issues would be so helpful. I'm a full-time grad school student, working full-time to put myself through school. When I bought my H3, I was so happy-- and now I'm just struggling to keep it from falling apart.

PAST HISTORY

I bought my Black H3 Hummer used from the Hummer dealership in Tulsa, Okla on April 14, 2010. It was 3 years old when I bought it and still under bumper to bumper warranty. List of repairs since purchase:

05/10/10: H3 would not start, right side brake light was out,& H3 leaned to right-- dealership replaced the *Ignition Switch* *brake light* and performed recall hood repair. #Under Warranty#

Dealership didn't have time to take care of leaning problem.

07/02/10: H3 leaned to right, which I've never drove it off road. --dealership had time and assessed a torsion bar issue, adjusted it and aligned.#$45.00#

7/22/10: H3's tire pressure warning light came on, was vibrating on highway, radio had a static problem, and passenger side front A/C vent wouldn't open.--dealership ordered parts for A/C vent, patched tire which had a nail in it, balanced tires, and replaced antenna mast assembly. #Tire & Balance cost $48.49# #Antenna Under Warranty#

08/10/10: A/C vent part comes in - replaced far right A/C/ Air Deflector assembly. #Under Warranty#

10/19/2010: H3 slow to start - battery is almost dead. Just out of 50K warranty. Sears, Jiffy Lube and Meineke do not have proper battery size - take it to Dealership. Replace battery (and decide to replace battery housing and cabling, which I was not asked about) *Irately I pay #$250.00# for new battery and the other "stuff".

10/30/10: H3 begins to rough idle. Called dealership, they said they didn't have time until two weeks out. Issue is minor, I am broke, I let it go.

12/26/10: Day after Christmas, H3 won't start, stalls. Finally get it to turn over, rough rough idle, shakes hard. Get it on road and higher speed, drives fine at higher speeds.

12/27/2010: Take it to independent auto shop. Assess rough idle, codes that come back 101, 300 and 171. Cleaned Mass Air Flow censor, reset TPMS. They then tested and found cylinder #2 missfiring at idle. Swapped #2 for #4 coil and plug. Missfire stays on 2. Autoshop recommends taking to dealership to assess if repair would fall under powertrain 100k mile warranty.

Weary of dealership and low on funds, I have not taken my H3 in again for rough idle again.

Other issues that have come up:
-Passenger side front speaker in door, goes in and out- no cracking
-A static sound can be heard occasionally coming from windshield area? even with radio turned OFF.
-Door lights on lock and window buttons change from lit to unlit when driving or changing from Drive to park and vice versa.
-4/14/2011 - While driving down dry highway not accelerating or breaking, moving at constant speed error light Stability System failed, service Stability system. I have no idea what cause this.

I need help! I'm sunk in this car...

Old 04-15-2011, 06:32 AM

Rough iddle problem could be cured with throttle body thorough cleaning...they do tend to collect a lot of dirt on these..mine was half black inside..Car iddles perfect now and even cut down the vibration a lot..almost by 90%...hope this helps..
Also cleaned the MAF just extra precaution...and a new air filter...

Old 02-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Default Same problem as you

Hate to dig this old of a thread up but did you ever find out what was wrong? I have the same year and the same list of problems, posted here and everywhere else but nobody has an answer