PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Base OEM subwoofer install HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 08:31 AM
Default H3 Base OEM subwoofer install HELP!

I recently bought the factory amp and subwoofer setup, and to went to install and realized they didnt run the wiring for the amp like they did with the trailer lights... Can anyone help me out with a part number for the OEM wiring harness? Am I better off buying a aftermarket amplifier and running the wiring? I already replaced all the speakers, and head unit. I have done all this before, but I just had surgery and want an easy install for once in my life... lol

Old 04-24-2019, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF.

Wires is wires, run your own quality set. I would not bother tracking down a crappy OEM harness that is 9-13 years old.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:45 PM

Better off using a 5 or 6 channel aftermarket amp an aftermarket head unit if your rig did't have the Monsoon System to begin with.
You can still utilize the factory sub cabinet just remember the sub is Dual 2 ohm and purchase the appropriate amplifier that can handle the load.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:32 PM

Why 5 or 6 channel amp?

Old 04-25-2019, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by aFrigginGuy
Why 5 or 6 channel amp?
By that response I'm not sure you should not be adding any amplifiers, sub-woofers, etc. the stereo system in your H3.

5 channels = Front L & R, Rear L & R, Sub-woofer (Dual 2 ohm sub will need 1 ohm stable amplifier) 2+2+1=5 (+electronic crossovers to separate the mid&high from the sub-bass)
6 Channels = Front L & R, Rear L & R, Sub-woofer L & R (Dual 2 ohm sub will need 2 ohm stable amplifier) 2+2+2=6 (+electronic crossovers to separate the mid&high from the sub-bass)

Plenty of aftermarket amplifiers are made for the 5 & 6 channel configuration that have 25-50 watts for the 4 front channels and 100+ watts for the sub-woofer.

Examples:
5 Channel - Rockford Fosgate Punch P1000X5
6 Channel - AudioControl LC-6.1200

Last edited by TAINTER; 04-25-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
By that response I'm not sure you should not be adding any amplifiers, sub-woofers, etc. the stereo system in your H3.

5 channels = Front L & R, Rear L & R, Sub-woofer (Dual 2 ohm sub will need 1 ohm stable amplifier) 2+2+1=5 (+electronic crossovers to separate the mid&high from the sub-bass)
6 Channels = Front L & R, Rear L & R, Sub-woofer L & R (Dual 2 ohm sub will need 2 ohm stable amplifier) 2+2+2=6 (+electronic crossovers to separate the mid&high from the sub-bass)

Plenty of aftermarket amplifiers are made for the 5 & 6 channel configuration that have 25-50 watts for the 4 front channels and 100+ watts for the sub-woofer.

Examples:
5 Channel - Rockford Fosgate Punch P1000X5
6 Channel - AudioControl LC-6.1200
Take no offense but I am pretty sure I know what I am doing as far as wiring and stereos. I know what channels on an amp are for, and if I didnt I would Google it rather than sound like an idiot. The question was why would I need a 5 or 6 channel when all I am doing is running it for the oem sub, which I may replace depending on sound quality. I am not looking for an excessively loud or annoying sound system anymore. Been there done that. I just want more than what I have now. Plus, I listen to hard rock and want to feel a bit more bass, but not so much I cant enjoy my music. Not to put down my aftermarket door speakers because I paid a good amount for them, they hit, but they only can go so loud. As well as I just had a major neck surgery (about 3 weeks ago) and cant be crawling around. Just looking for something easier on the body for now.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:36 AM

I do appreciate the help tho.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:32 PM

Take no offense but I am pretty sure I know what I am doing as far as wiring and stereos. I know what channels on an amp are for, and if I didnt I would Google it rather than sound like an idiot. The question was why would I need a 5 or 6 channel when all I am doing is running it for the oem sub, which I may replace depending on sound quality. I am not looking for an excessively loud or annoying sound system anymore. Been there done that. I just want more than what I have now. Plus, I listen to hard rock and want to feel a bit more bass, but not so much I cant enjoy my music. Not to put down my aftermarket door speakers because I paid a good amount for them, they hit, but they only can go so loud. As well as I just had a major neck surgery (about 3 weeks ago) and cant be crawling around. Just looking for something easier on the body for now.
The factory amplifier powers ALL the speakers. By stating you purchased the factory amp and subwoofer you implied you wanted to amplify ALL of the speakers and add the sub-woofer.

If you just want to add a sub-woofer, by a powered sub-woofer with line level inputs and run some Power, Ground, Remote and line level wires. Done!

Old 05-02-2019, 05:57 PM

I recently bought the factory amp and subwoofer setup, and to went to install and realized they didnt run the wiring for the amp like they did with the trailer lights... Can anyone help me out with a part number for the OEM wiring harness? Am I better off buying a aftermarket amplifier and running the wiring? I already replaced all the speakers, and head unit. I have done all this before, but I just had surgery and want an easy install for once in my life... lol
Did the factory sub enclosure fit without issue? I know they made 2 different interior trim pieces. Did you swap that out as well or just install behind the trim piece without the speaker grill installed?

Old 05-02-2019, 06:43 PM
Default added powered woofer

trying to make a good sounding system sound better, like my monsoon, i added a very nice powered woofer to my jeep. i got too much base no matter how it adjusted everything. its the rockville rw8ca,a very well made unit,but i gave up and pulled it.
nuttin like monsoon !! jfwiw...

Quick Reply: H3 Base OEM subwoofer install HELP!