PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 Alpha - They say my Engine Self Destructed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 01:20 PM
Default H3 Alpha - They say my Engine Self Destructed!

I'm new here and forgive me if this (long) narrative should be in another thread. I looked but didn't see one for this. I really need y'alls advice.

I bought a 2008 H3 ALPHA about 9 months ago. I LOVE it. It had 107K miles on it when I bought it and appeared to have been very well maintained and taken care of. I have dealt with a couple of expected issues (predicted by this forum) those being replacement of the radiator, sunroof drain unclogging, and stalling at red lights occasionally - apparently fixed by my cleaning of the throttle intake whatchamacallit. Other that that, it is run perfectly with full power and command. However......

It now has 127K miles on it. My daughter, who has great ears, said about a month ago - "you car ticks like a wind up toy". I didn't hear it and thought she was just hearing some normal part of riding own the road. Well, about 2 weeks ago it got loud enough to where I did hear it when I got out of the truck with the engine still running. It ticked about a click per second - maybe a little faster. It was tied sort of to the RPMs and NOT to MPH.

Over the next week it changed from a tick/click to the sound as if you took an empty Campbell's Soup can and thumped on the bottom of it with your your middle finger nail at still about a thump per second. A buddy said maybe a loose belt tensioner pulley. It sounded sort of external so I was hopeful that it was something peripheral like that.

I drove the truck for another week with no discernible change in power or performance other than that continuing sound - which at that point was becoming undeniable and embarrassing at red lights.

I took it to my mechanic who I have dealt with for 6 years and I trust completely. He and his partner used to work at GM and they have always been correct in their analysis and prompt and very fair in repairs they have done for me in the past on several other vehicle I own. I trust them and consider them to be friends.

They have reported that the engine has an internal failure that is (and I'm paraphrasing from ignorance and flawed memory) due to a design flaw in "these engines" and it is the cam shaft making the repetitive sound. they said it could go on for a month or could crap itself in the next moment. They said they researched it and that they recommended that they send the engine to JASPER Engine Re-builders. They said Jasper would rebuild the engine with needed upgraded parts that would eliminate the factory flaw and that I would have a better engine with a three year warranty. They said was a REAL warranty without a bunch of strings attached.

The mechanics assured me that they looked for any external cheaper culprits and that, without a doubt, the engine was failing. Price tag for the entire repair will be right at $6,000. This included replacing water pump and all the external time change items in the process.

I need to know if I am missing something or if it is a reasonable assessment and investment. I plan on keeping the H3 forever and leaving it to my daughter - who started all this....

Is there validity to the idea of a design flaw in these engines? I need to decide this week what to do. Again, I really like and trust these guys and the company is very reputable and highly regarded. Their repairs always correct the problem and their costs have always been in line with going shop rates and approximately 1/2 the cost of estimates from the GM dealer.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Joe

Old 10-02-2017, 02:32 PM

Hmmmm... I'd get a couple second opinions on this one. The engines in these H3 are know to last quite a while. Yours is a V8? I do believe that there is a issue that others with V8' have had with noise in the timing/valve train etc.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:50 PM

It's a 5.3 V8. I just called the GM dealership here in Macon, GA and they are going to check it out for $122. So, there will be my second opinion. They can't get to it until next Monday, but I'll post the results then. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Have you checked the engine oil during all this? Supposed to be done every other fill up.

Design flaw.

There are 5.3Ls out there chugging along at over 300K miles.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:02 PM

I did check the oil and do so pretty regularly. It was in the zone and looked normal.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:03 PM

Over 300k - noted. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:03 AM

Here's the update on my 2008 Alpha 5.3 Engine.

I took the truck to the local GM dealer to get a second opinion and price. They kept it for a day and reported that it needs new lifters and a new camshaft. Price $4100 then minus a 10% military discount on labor. 1 year 100K mile warranty on their work. They offered that as the fix with no mention of replacing the entire engine.

At the first place I took it, where I'm friends with the guys, they fairly strongly suggested that I should spend an extra $2K and just get a Jasper rebuilt engine with a 3 yr warranty. I had told them that I was going to keep the truck forever so that may have influenced their thinking on it.

They want $3,900 for the lifters and cam job and also offered a military discount off that price. They said Jasper would rebuild my engine with the new upgraded parts and the turn key cost would be $6K. Including new water pump and some other peripheral new stuff. They were concerned that a new top end would set me up for the bottom end failing. They were thinking why not get a new engine out of it while we are doing almost the same amount of labor time.

Normally, I would go for the dealer's suggested fix and spend the lesser amount. But the bottom end failing concern has me wondering and confused.

Any words of wisdom on this?

Old 10-09-2017, 11:05 AM

Oh, the truck/engine has 127K miles on it and runs very strong. Seems like new. Except for the lifter and cam chattering.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:48 PM

Just install a junkyard motor. We just picked up a 2012 6.0L with 54,000 miles for $2,000 with no core charge. It takes about a day to swap out.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:09 PM

I'll look into that. Seems like a much better option. I'm ignorant of what engines would fit in the H3. Is it an easy swap or are there mods required for some replacements? What would a shop normally charge for doing the swap?

Quick Reply: H3 Alpha - They say my Engine Self Destructed!