PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got P0014 code then P0017 after repair????

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 06:37 AM
Default Got P0014 code then P0017 after repair????

Hey guys,

I'm really confused. My engine light came on and I got a P0014 error code (Cam sensor). I replaced both the intake and exhaust sensors and I manually cleared the code. The next day the engine light came back on, but the code now is P0017.

I heard it could be dirty oil so I got an oil change. The light immediately came off and I thought I was done, but the P0017 code was back when I started the car the next morning.

Hummer H3 2006 130,000 miles

Thanks!

Old 04-27-2015, 12:10 PM

Could be the CKP(crankshaft position) sensor or a faulty exhaust CMP(camshaft position sensor)

DTC P0017

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The powertrain control module (PCM) uses the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor and the exhaust camshaft position (CMP) sensor information to monitor the correlation between the crankshaft and camshaft positions. If the PCM detects a CMP sensor pulse occurs during the incorrect CKP DTC P0017 will set.

DTC DESCRIPTOR
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:
DTC P0017 Crankshaft Position (CKP)-Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Correlation

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

•DTCs P0335, P0336, P0340, P0341, P0365, P0366 are not set.
•The engine is running.
•The CMP actuator is commanded to zero.
•DTC P0017 runs continuously once the above conditions are met.
CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The PCM detects 25 out of the last 35 cam revolutions occur with 2 cam sensor pulses outside the CKP window.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

•The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
•The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

•The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
•A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
•A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
•Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.
DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
The following conditions may cause this DTC to set:

•An improperly torqued crankshaft balancer
•A mis-built or mis-timed engine
•A loose or missing crankshaft balancer bolt
•The CMP actuator solenoid stuck open
•The CMP actuator stuck in a position other than 0 degrees