PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General Questions on an H3

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 08:54 PM
Default General Questions on an H3

I want to purchase an H3 for my son (his first vehicle). Any insight on the following is appreciated.

1) Reliable??
2) Any particular year model better?
3) Replacement parts available?
4) items to be aware of when purchasing?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and insight.

MM

Old 07-12-2016, 09:35 AM

1) Reliable?? Yes, I have not had any major problems with my 2007 H3

2) Any particular year model better? I would stay away from 2006.

3) Replacement parts available? No problem finding parts online at reasonable cost. The dealer is the LAST place to get parts $$$$$

4) items to be aware of when purchasing? Nothing that you wouldn't be on the lookout for in any used car purchase.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:23 PM

Chasyem-
Follow Bungers advice.

My 07 has had very few problems

Old 07-13-2016, 07:39 AM

new h3 drivers be aware that the "a" pillar is large and almost vertical, blocking the view especially to the left when turning.
twice i learned my lesson. the 1st, i bumped a post in walmart lot, needed alignment.
2nd, on my property a small tree was blocked as i turned left.suddenly the driver mirror was scraped off and the door was flattened! new door, $750
im a little more careful now!

hummer , like nothing else,,,especially thr A pillar!

Last edited by happythree; 07-13-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:55 AM
rsc

Originally Posted by chasyem
I want to purchase an H3 for my son (his first vehicle). Any insight on the following is appreciated.

1) Reliable?? My first H3 always felt like it was a hiccup away from something expensive but aside from the radiator cracking at 80k miles it's been a good truck.
2) Any particular year model better? The 09-10 Adventure is the best, either I5 w/5speed or the Alpha. The 06 and early 07 models had the window controls in a funky location, but you get used to it.
3) Replacement parts available? Yes, but it seems that when I need a part it's always on backorder - upper A-arms were out when I needed one and the rear leafs were out when I tried to order. But, they were available again fairly quickly. Remember to shop around, prices aren't cheap but they aren't crazy. I have seen some parts go for hundreds and then a year later under a hundred, depends on timing.
4) items to be aware of when purchasing? The 4L60e has all the same problems that it has always had. You may get 120k out of it or it may go 200k. The transfer case fluid needs to be flushed at 100k if not earlier and the front diff is undersized for the weight of the H3. It holds up alright until you start really pushing it offroad and you cannot regear it for bigger tires. The steering should be tight, when new it is very direct (I actually prefer it a little more broken in) and the suspension is tight with few squeeks. The I5 vibrates and things rattle, the 4wd sometimes feels strange because the computers do a lot of work in the background and there are plenty of little things that are more annoying than actually poorly designed. Remember that torsion keys are snake oil, the H3 will take 35" tires off the showroom floor.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and insight.

MM
Hope all that helps.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:00 AM
rsc

Originally Posted by happythree
new h3 drivers be aware that the "a" pillar is large and almost vertical, blocking the view especially to the left when turning.
twice i learned my lesson. the 1st, i bumped a post in walmart lot, needed alignment.
2nd, on my property a small tree was blocked as i turned left.suddenly the driver mirror was scraped off and the door was flattened! new door, $750
im a little more careful now!

hummer , like nothing else,,,especially thr A pillar!
No kidding! I have almost ran over people twice driving through a parking lot slowly. Seems that they were walking at just the right speed as to stay right in that blind spot! Not saying that pedestrians shouldn't have the right of way, but it is possible to use common sense and stop before you walk into the side of my vehicle at 5 mph. I would rather be safe and cede the right of way than dead and in the right.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by rsc
No kidding! I have almost ran over people twice driving through a parking lot slowly. Seems that they were walking at just the right speed as to stay right in that blind spot! Not saying that pedestrians shouldn't have the right of way, but it is possible to use common sense and stop before you walk into the side of my vehicle at 5 mph. I would rather be safe and cede the right of way than dead and in the right.
Yeah! That /\ ! I've done the same thing; worst part is that my wife, from the passenger seat, saw the pedestrian getting ready to cross in front of me (in a crosswalk) and I never saw them, just about ran them over!

Old 07-13-2016, 09:31 PM

I appreciate each response and have learned quite a bit...

@RSC 4L60e... Auto Tranny??

Thanks again, Chasyem

Old 07-14-2016, 08:53 AM
rsc

Originally Posted by chasyem
I appreciate each response and have learned quite a bit...

@RSC 4L60e... Auto Tranny??

Thanks again, Chasyem
Yes, the automatic.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:10 PM
Default A pillars are crazy

The A pillars are no joke. Vehicles can almost be completely blocked from view because of them.

For the first time in over 7 years of ownership I finally experienced an accident due to the pillar. I was in a parking lot turning left and smacked into a concrete pyramid. Luckily it's sides were sloped so I ramped up and over instead of smashing into it.

Name:  IMG_20160714_175527315_HDR.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  128.9 KB

Last edited by norinco3264; 07-14-2016 at 05:13 PM.