PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Gasoline Octane???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Default Gasoline Octane???

I have read on a couple of different Hummer forums that you should only use gasoline rated at 87 octane. After reading my owner's manual it states to use 87 or HIGHER octane. Is there a reason why you wouldn't want to use a higher octane? The owner's maunual does not state to use ONLY 87 octane, so why shouldn't I use a higher octane?

Old 03-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Default RE: Gasoline Octane???

no real reason that you shouldn't, unless you like throwing away $.20 per gallon. it's your money, but you'll get no real benefit from it.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:15 PM

ORIGINAL: RutDogg

I have read on a couple of different Hummer forums that you should only use gasoline rated at 87 octane. After reading my owner's manual it states to use 87 or HIGHER octane. Is there a reason why you wouldn't want to use a higher octane? The owner's maunual does not state to use ONLY 87 octane, so why shouldn't I use a higher octane?
To expand on Shorty's explaination just a tad more..

The Engines are designed (compression ratio) and the PCM (engine computer) are programmed to adjust the spark firing angle for a certain range of fuel octane. The engine has what is called a predetonation sensor to signal the computer to advance the timing or retard the timing to correct for preignition (known as knocking or pinging)..But it has a limited range from retard to advance. So the fuel has to be of the correct octane for the timing to fall within this range. If you use a slower burning HIGH octane fuel, the spark control must adjust itself to it's full Advanced end of the spectrum...But it will not go far enough to compensate for the High octane fuel (usual above 90 or more)..What ends up happening is that, since the fuel burns slower and incompletely, a lot of left over unburned fuel remains and carbons up the combustion chambers. Resulting in higher compression eventually and then you are force to use the higher octane fuel by fault...So the faster burning 87 octane is optimum for proper combustion efficiency as these engines are set up for. Using any higher octane is a waste of money too...89 octane is a blend of the 87 and the 92+ at the pump's mixing valve.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:41 PM

eloquently explained. i'm gonna save that explanation, it's just so darn insightful.

[sm=happy046.gif]

Old 03-15-2006, 09:19 PM

Sorry for being so long winded..I'm an Instructor of engineering by trade..So sometimes I can't help myself and I just start spewing forth endless cocktail party type trivia.[sm=helpout.gif]

Old 03-16-2006, 10:11 AM

MY dealer told me only use 87 that's it. He told me the high you go it will hurt the motor why i'am not sure.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: dilo2001gt

MY dealer told me only use 87 that's it. He told me the high you go it will hurt the motor why i'am not sure.
Mark..reread my post above...If you use premium (92 octane or higher) you are pissing away money and carboning up your engine.[sm=wakeup.gif]

Old 03-16-2006, 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Mark..reread my post above...If you use premium (92 octane or higher) you are pissing away money and carboning up your engine.[sm=wakeup.gif]

Hey take it easy on me i been sick for over a week now likey i can use the key board never mine read[sm=smiley23.gif]

Old 03-16-2006, 12:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Hey take it easy on me i been sick for over a week now likey i can use the key board never mine read[sm=smiley23.gif]
Sorry Pal..I was wondering where you've been...Hope you get to feeling better..So I can really have fun..[sm=wootwoot.gif]