Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Fuse Box Lock?

Old 03-11-2019, 06:27 AM
Default Fuse Box Lock?

Fuse Box Lid Hummer H3

Fuse Box Hummer H3

Fuse Box Lid Photo
Hi, I sold my 3.7 to buy a 5.3 Alpha, I notice that the fuse box lid is just rested on top of the base? The photo above shows a lock symbol in four places on the lid but on my vehicle, there is no locking device here. I looked on GM parts and there is no listing for a locking device here (see attached diagrams).

Please can anyone tell me if there is a locking mechanism that I am missing here? Reason I am asking is that when I took the lid off, the fuses were all covered in a good layer of desert dust, want to avoid that in future if possible.

Thanks
Baz

Old 03-11-2019, 06:41 AM

The locks simply break. Zip ties work great as replacements!

Old 03-11-2019, 06:46 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ordieh
The locks simply break. Zip ties work great as replacements!
Thanks for your reply, so there were locks there to start with? Interesting.

Zip ties sound like a great idea, I will do that as replacing the lid is like $33 + shipping, thankyou!

Old 03-11-2019, 07:28 AM

PUSH TABS INWARD, lift up.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Barry Tedder
Thanks for your reply, so there were locks there to start with? Interesting.

Zip ties sound like a great idea, I will do that as replacing the lid is like $33 + shipping, thankyou!
Your looking at an unlock "symbol" not a lock????? Most people get it, when you want to open the lid the little unlock symbols tell you where to apply pressure to do that.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:14 AM

Fuse box lid, with clip broken
Hi both,
Thanks, I get it but my point is, what type of lock is there supposed to be as I do not have any tabs.

Your replies actually helped in a way though as I checked the lid again and I can see that the tabs you speak of, must be broken off, it was so clean that I couldn't see it before. As they were never there, I didn't know what was missing, whether it had a part code and I could replace it or if it was part of the lid. I see now that it is part of the lid and the tabs are completely absent on mine, in all four corners!

I think the best fix here is cable ties until I find a scrapyard replacement.

Thanks guys

Old 03-11-2019, 09:29 AM

Hummer H3 Fuse Box (very Dirty)

This is why I was asking about the lid, the fuses are covered in desert dust! I am not sure if this will be a problem for them, does anyone know if it would be ok to vacuum this area? I think a vacuum cleaner can cause static electricity damage to some fragile electronics?

Old 03-11-2019, 09:58 AM

Same thing here, all tabs on the 2010 I recently purchased were broken, similar layer of dust. I remember breaking the tabs on my first 2006, so it wasn't a surprise. I vacuumed mine and used compressed air to blow it off, no issues with either.

You might have already noticed that there are different part numbers for the different years, I'm pretty sure that is because the labels underneath are different, I wouldn't think the cover itself is different, even for the Alpha (the lower cover is the same part number so it has to be able to snap in). If you don't care about the label, you can probably get any year cover out of a salvage yard (or new ones on ebay for less than $20 (2006 model). Maybe make a label using your old one as a pattern.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
PUSH TABS INWARD, lift up.
Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Your looking at an unlock "symbol" not a lock????? Most people get it, when you want to open the lid the little unlock symbols tell you where to apply pressure to do that.
Originally Posted by HumbleAg
Same thing here, all tabs on the 2010 I recently purchased were broken, similar layer of dust. I remember breaking the tabs on my first 2006, so it wasn't a surprise. I vacuumed mine and used compressed air to blow it off, no issues with either.

You might have already noticed that there are different part numbers for the different years, I'm pretty sure that is because the labels underneath are different, I wouldn't think the cover itself is different, even for the Alpha (the lower cover is the same part number so it has to be able to snap in). If you don't care about the label, you can probably get any year cover out of a salvage yard (or new ones on ebay for less than $20 (2006 model). Maybe make a label using your old one as a pattern.
Wonder why they are broken on both of ours? Is it knuckle dragging mechanics just yanking the lid off without pushing the tabs in?

I didn't notice that, thanks for the information. If the label is a sticker, maybe I can steam it off and re-stick it in the new one?

Regards
Barry

Old 03-11-2019, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

I know why the break up here in MI. When it is like 9 degrees and you need to get into the fuse box, plastic is brittle and breaks.

I use a velcro strap all the way round the fuse box to keep it shut. The dust gets in because it is not an air tight cover.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuse Box Lock?