PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Default Fuel Filter

Kind of makes me worry...but as most of you know the H3 does not have a convetional fuel filter[sm=badidea.gif]. I was poking around the technical service bulletins via HummBobs link and one of the latest is:

"VARIOUS DRIVEABILITY FUNCTIONS DUE TO CLOGGED FUEL INJECTORS"

gee, I wonder if they can be related??

I do spend about $4 a month on a bottle of fuel injector cleaner so I hope that is doing something for me.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Default RE: Fuel Filter

A lot of the newer vehicles don't have filters. Dodge trucks have not had one since the late 90's. The strainer on the fuel pump is beefed up a little.

I don't think it's anything to worry about. What you are doing with the injector cleaner is a smart idea.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:52 PM

I hope you are right...I just found it ironic that there is a TSB for clogged fuel injectors. I would still prefer an inline filter, all the strainer is doing is keeping the dirt in the fuel tank. I travel toBaja alot and who knows what is in their gas.

But, I amat 26k miles and she stillpurrs like a kitten...OK, a fat kitten.

ORIGINAL: blackstangs281

A lot of the newer vehicles don't have filters. Dodge trucks have not had one since the late 90's. The strainer on the fuel pump is beefed up a little.

I don't think it's anything to worry about. What you are doing with the injector cleaner is a smart idea.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:24 PM

If you had carefully read the bulletin you would see that it is for Multec 2 Fuel Injectors. The bulletin really does not say, butthe problem is more from heated splash back onto the injector(s) that cause the restrictions versus stuff in the tank.
Since the EPA required fiberglass inground fuel tanks (preventing fuel tanks from rusting), and auto manufacturers started using plastic tanks in the vehicles, dirty fuel has been a non-issue. This is not to say that there could be an accidental dump of dirt into a tank, or fuel in another country could be contaminated, but in the USA, the chances of dirt inside the fuel tank are slim, but not impossible.

GM has not used fuel filters since the last 90s in some vehicles, primarily doing away with them totally in the past few years.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:49 PM

..so does my H3 not have the multec 2 fuel injectors that are affected ( not that I would know the difference )??

splashbackhuh?if you say so...

and if you had carefully read my post you would see I go tomexicooften and their gas isfar fromclean.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:40 PM

Conversly..here in OKC due to recent biblical rains we've been having..a lot of the gas stations have been problemed with water and silt getting into the tanks via the fill pipes...call it a bad cap or improperly fitted by whomever..the fact still remains ..dirt contamination is still finding it's way into the fuel tanks and ultimately to your gas tank...Food for thought.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:43 PM

Just thinking here. Could you not custom install a fuel filter between the tank lines and the injectors somewhere. I have not poked around the engine compartment of my H3 lately but maybe that would alleviate your worries.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:51 PM

It sounds feasable..But remember one thing..the supply line to the engine is under a great deal of pressure to supply the injectors, so you would have to make sure you have good and tight fitting fittings.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:54 PM

They make repair lines to fit the standard GM filter. Fittings on one side, and compression fittings on the other.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:58 PM

I thought about that, but cutting into fuel lines sounds to scary for me[sm=badbadbad.gif]
ORIGINAL: rob85635

Just thinking here. Could you not custom install a fuel filter between the tank lines and the injectors somewhere. I have not poked around the engine compartment of my H3 lately but maybe that would alleviate your worries.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter