PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel door install gone wrong----need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Default Fuel door install gone wrong----need advice

Well I bought a new fuel door for the H3 as the chrome was peeling off of my old door. I found a black fuel door made by Predator on eBay and picked it up. When the door arrived, there were no instructions and when I emailed them back they emailed a copy of the only instructions they had......which I believe is for a different fuel door.

The install required me to take off the rear side bumper and the wheel well cover which was no problem, remove the fuel bezel and cut off clips then re-insert from the inside of the fender and attach to the fuel neck rather than from the outside. Once I did this I realized that there was no way to attach this thing with the hardware given or ruining the fuel door itself.

So now I'm stuck with my daily driver looking pretty bad and no clear solution and there is no way to re-install the old door (I had to drill out the old screws and there is now no way to attach it with the clips cut off of the bezel).

Has anyone had a similar problem or idea of how to fix this??????? Otherwise I'm ordering a new bezel from Amazon and will go with no door and a locking cap.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel door install gone wrong----need advice-wp_000921.jpg   Fuel door install gone wrong----need advice-datsun.jpg   Fuel door install gone wrong----need advice-soloracerdotcom_2203_37388401.jpg  
Old 08-11-2013, 04:42 PM

face it,the mounting hdwe is junk and very poorly thought out.
I read about a screw thru method and did mine that way.
it was chrome and I used 4 stainless screws thru where the decoration screws were. I mounted a fiber ring inside the fender for strength,not an ez job. the whole thing is an odd shape inside as you now know.
since you have , had access to the inside fender you could use 4 separate backers for screws.

just some thoughts...

Old 08-11-2013, 05:32 PM

That's not a bad idea at all! I'll have to do another search and see if there is a post here about that. Did you put the mount inside the fender or between the fuel door and the fender? After searching around, it looks like a new bezel is pretty cheap ($15.00) but I wonder if that is only the outer ring or the entire plastic piece that fits over the fuel neck.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:56 PM

yes,inside, the "funnel" is as it was.
I ran 4 self tapping stainless screws thru the new piece,thru the fender,into the ring that I "invented". you could use sep parts you make your way.
good luck.

btw,it would take a crow bar to pull it off, not those chinsey screws they supply.

from memory,,,i think I used tiny screws to hold the ring till I got the stainless screws in it. I repeat, not ez,,,but solid

Last edited by happythree; 08-11-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the insight. Time to find a new fuel bucket and start this project over again.