PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustration is only the beginning

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds more like an amatuer mechanic.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:57 AM

Yay an oil warning light came on today when I got to work

Old 04-12-2011, 02:14 PM

I replaced the spark plugs , serpentine belt, and cleaned the throttle body on Sunday and the dam thing is still stalling because the dam rpms will jump around between 1200 and 500 when stopping and then dive down and stall. It's really random when it happens. If anyone has any suggestions please share because the dealership has basically given up.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:26 PM

Wife had a Chevrolet Cavalier that more or less seems to have done the same thing. Would run fine for a while several days in a row. Then you could stop at a stop light. Car could have been running fine. Then it would start to run ragged with RPM jumping around and no power, when you got ready to go, it would lurch a little, then die/stall. Car may or may not start back up. If it started, often it would run fine for a while, then repeat process. Problem always seemed to reappear when starting from a stop, often at a stop light. Mechanic diagnosed problem as a faulty Throttly Position Sensor. Replaced TPS and car ran great with no problems.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:30 PM

Meant Throttle Position Sensor vs Throttly Position Sensor in previous post.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by woody.167
I replaced the spark plugs , serpentine belt, and cleaned the throttle body on Sunday and the dam thing is still stalling because the dam rpms will jump around between 1200 and 500 when stopping and then dive down and stall. It's really random when it happens. If anyone has any suggestions please share because the dealership has basically given up.
If they have given up on it and it is still under warranty then it sounds like GM and/or the dealership should be on the hook to either replace it or buy it back. Lemon law, perhaps?

Old 04-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Banned

air,gas ,spark,timing needed to run

fuel injectors,fuel filt,fuel pressure

gm mechanic otta know something huh.

no codes?

Old 04-12-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by thermalfrost
Wife had a Chevrolet Cavalier that more or less seems to have done the same thing. Would run fine for a while several days in a row. Then you could stop at a stop light. Car could have been running fine. Then it would start to run ragged with RPM jumping around and no power, when you got ready to go, it would lurch a little, then die/stall. Car may or may not start back up. If it started, often it would run fine for a while, then repeat process. Problem always seemed to reappear when starting from a stop, often at a stop light. Mechanic diagnosed problem as a faulty Throttly Position Sensor. Replaced TPS and car ran great with no problems.
Same thing on my Wrangler, new TPS fixed it. I think it cost around $30 at the NAPA store.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:50 PM

its your TPS sensor, I had this problem on my yes Honda Accord 2001 v6 coupe commuting car a few years back. It was still under warranty and Honda replaced the whole throttle body/ sensors and all and it was good to go ! Good luck and hope this helps..

Old 04-12-2011, 07:08 PM

TPS sensor or possible mass air flow sensor.

Quick Reply: Frustration is only the beginning