PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Default Front end Rattle

Ok,

So i had the front end rattle like alot of you guys did and i had the repair done. I notice alot of guys saying that after the fix they feel everything is better and all is good. I still feel like there is alot of play and still some rattle in the front end. Plus i have noticed what seems to be fluid that is leaking from the rear diff cover. Not on the ground but it seems wet. Hope im explaining it right. I feel like when im going over pot holes or any sort of road other than flat that it rattles so much in the wheel and its hard to control if im trying to make a turn on a pot hole as it jumps around.

What could this be?...Could it be just the tires .....i have had the tire sensor before in an Xterra and had no issues with it. With these tires i feel like im putting air in all tires twice a week. Put in 37lbs one night all the way around and 2 days later i was at 33lbs.

If anyone could through me a suggestion before i take it in ...would be great. I quess to it could just be me....i know i didnt buy a cadillac but.....

Thanks
Chris

Old 11-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Default RE: Front end Rattle

Chris,
If you have had the steering lower shaft replaced with the CORRECT part and not the same malfunctioning part as some dealers have done, then you have another problem. A front end rattle could be many things including loose shocks, steering parts, skid plates or anything else that's bolted together which is just about everything. The trick is to listen to the sound and try to isolate the problem then crawl under, over and around shaking parts to see if they're loose. If you can't locate it then a trip to the dealer is in your very near future. My best guess from your post is a shock absorber has failed and needs replaced.

The rear diff leaking is problem two. It is probably a bad gasket seal, get the dealer to replace it.

The "tire sensors" as you say don't do anything but monitor tire pressure. If you are getting a steady leak down on all four tires then you have a serious problem. Make sure when you air the tires it's done COLD and checked cold. As you know when air heats it expands thus changing the tire pressures. If you check the tires hot and air them all to 37 PSIG hot, then check them again after sitting all night in a cold climate it is possible to have that much of a pressure drop. Air them cold and check them cold for an accurate reading. While I'm on that subject...To keep your tire pressure alert from nagging you air them cold a few Lbs above the recommended factory pressure.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:21 AM

i would take it in and have them look at all4 issues: there shouldn't be "a lot" of play in the steering; as for the rattle, have them fix it 'til its right; i have noticed that some of our H3 Alphas will leak some fluid from the rear-diff cover onto our showroom floor. i have never seen an '07 5 cylinder do it; i took my car in for something completely different and they had replaced all 4 of my tire-sensors without me saying a word. i was told it was a "product inhancement" not a recall????

Old 11-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

What RealJeep said. 37# should be a good tire psi, cold. Cold generally means that the vehicle has not been driven for 2 hours before checking pressure.

Also have a look at the broke back truck thread My truck is broked-ed again. of course see if anything there sounds like what you have?

Old 11-10-2007, 08:26 AM

I like dealer speak sometimes, "tire enhancement" means, somethings broke, we're embarrased our product is junk, we'll fix it because we have to and tell you it's an UPGRADE [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-10-2007, 12:34 PM

i agree realjeep. i think the smoke they blow hasgone through an"enhancement".

Old 11-10-2007, 05:46 PM

Thanks reaJeep and Doc OLDS......If feeels like it did before the fix was done. So im thinking its the same bad part rather than the new one. Is there a way to check this before i goto the dealer?....Also Yes i did check the tires when cold and filled them when cold .......filled them to what the dealer said and like you did DOC 2 pounds over what i use and that would be the 37PSI........2 days later they were all at 33PSI and thats with not alot of driving on the car. Feels like im adding air all the way around 1 or sometimes twice a week. Cant be the way it should be. It does fell like the shock on the drivers side is bad as well. Not only do i get the lean on the drivers side but when i hit a bump it feels bad on that side...like a banging.