PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Differential Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Default Front Differential Problems

Just had my front differential replaced (O7 H3 Base Model). I described the symptoms on a prior post (like a za, za, za, za noise around 1500 rpms while coasting). Anyway, I have heard that this too is becoming a problem on many H3's anyone else have the same problem or get their front diff replaced? Also heard that a number of H3's got the wrong fluid put into the diffs during assembly and that this might be the reason.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:34 PM
Default RE: Front Differential Problems

i havent noticed that particular problem probablyb/c of my steering shaft issue. but, i appreciate the info and will definitely keep an ear open for it.

thanks!

Lil D

Old 06-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Default RE: Front Differential Problems

Tyically, a front diff problem will arise from severe off roading or pressing to hard on the brake when accelerating while off roading for traction (BTM). The front diff housing is made of aluminum and will flex under too much stress and cause the pinion gear to ride up on the ring gear and chip teeth. That will cause this problem for you to hear that chattering noise. other than that, they should hold up very well under normal driving conditions.

one thing to remember, if you are off roading with a non-adventure package truck, you dont need to use btm as much. If you feel the truck slipping, accelerate and get the rpm's up and over 1200. When you do this, the traction control on the truck will kick in and apply torque to the wheels with traction. this is a great thing to apply since you dont have a rear locker to help you out.

Hope that helps...