Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H3 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/)
-   -   Front differential (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/front-differential-39849/)

Julio A Lopez 06-08-2018 04:45 PM

Front differential

Months ago my right rront axle was replaced
weeks later the car didn't move anymore and the shop said the front differential had to be replaced or rebuilded
now I see the car when you go on reverse and turn to the right is kike stuck
When you move ahead it move without problems
what is it?

BruceS 06-08-2018 06:38 PM

Need to remove cover and inspect. Sounds like spider gear

Julio A Lopez 06-08-2018 07:36 PM

Rebuild

do you really think they rebuilt the differental? When the truck got stuck and you move forward you can listen a strong noise like “clsmp” and then it moves smoothly
yes like a gear out of position
any posibility the axle gear is a different relation ?
thanks

650Hawk 06-11-2018 09:51 AM

"clsmp"? Try as I might, I cannot imagine that sound.;)

TAINTER 06-13-2018 06:36 AM

Simple, take it back to the shop that rebuilt the diff.
Tell them the symptoms and have them fix what they didn't the first time.

atvspeed4 06-13-2018 12:09 PM

Might also be that your transfercase is stuck in 4Hi lock. Even if your indicator light is showing its in AWD, a badly worn shifter fork can allow it to hop ranges. This has happened to two of my H3 and on another hummer forum it lead to a guy snapping his CV shafts when turning in a parking lot.

Julio A Lopez 12-27-2018 07:43 AM

sorry for this long delay
I had to be out of the country for months,
retaking the issue with my front differential, how can I isolate the problem between the diff or the transfer case?
I'm thinking to replace my diff buying a used one in ebay, is that a good idea? I don't want to be in front of the same problem in months,
if I replace it, is something that I can do by myself?, is it too heavy?
best regards

Doc Olds 12-27-2018 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Julio A Lopez (Post 356810)
sorry for this long delay
I had to be out of the country for months,
retaking the issue with my front differential, how can I isolate the problem between the diff or the transfer case?
I'm thinking to replace my diff buying a used one in ebay, is that a good idea? I don't want to be in front of the same problem in months,
if I replace it, is something that I can do by myself?, is it too heavy?
best regards

FIRST thing I would have already done is what Tainter said: Simple, take it back to the shop that rebuilt the diff. Tell them the symptoms and have them fix what they didn't the first time.

You may have been gone a while, but the truck won't have many miles since they worked on it.

Search for Transfer Case stuck in Hi Lock, make sure it is not.

Julio A Lopez 12-27-2018 09:04 AM

the only problem Doc is the shop is 200 miles away, in Sarasota, the car is in Miami
and more than a year ago

Doc Olds 12-27-2018 09:45 AM

Well that sucks. Still might be worth a call to them if you have been out of country on deployment.

Make sure the T Case is not in lock. Do some searches, but in a nut shell, shift the T Case into lock on soft surface (not dry pavement) drive a 100 feet or so, then shift to Hi, might try to back up in a safe area and turn back and forth. Then see if it feels different.

Good luck.