PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firestone Destination Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Default Firestone Destination Review

Well I had a chance to try these in the snow tonight. We have about 1-2" on the ground currently(Northeast PA). I was amazed at how unsafe these MT's are in the snow. I managed to put the H3 sideways several times at less than 20 mph. I felt the traction control engage several times on back roads with minimal grades. I lost control at slow speeds on backstreets going downhill with the anti-lock totally helpless. My H3 is totally useless in the snow! These tires are totally unacceptable for winter use! I hope the 30 day guarantee is real b/c these are going back!

Last edited by fullbore55; 02-05-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Banned
Default bad news

after what i read last week of firestone i think its hard to
find a good review!!!
tom

Old 02-06-2010, 10:04 AM

Siped tires would have helped you out a lot because there was likely a nice layer of ice under the snow that you were driving on too. As long as I'm living in snow and ice country, I'm sticking with A/T tires.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by fullbore55
Well I had a chance to try these in the snow tonight. We have about 1-2" on the ground currently(Northeast PA). I was amazed at how unsafe these MT's are in the snow. I managed to put the H3 sideways several times at less than 20 mph. I felt the traction control engage several times on back roads with minimal grades. I lost control at slow speeds on backstreets going downhill with the anti-lock totally helpless. My H3 is totally useless in the snow! These tires are totally unacceptable for winter use! I hope the 30 day guarantee is real b/c these are going back!
Hold on a second. You are right....these tires WILL suck big time in the snow. Look at the tread! Thease are about as far on the other end of the spectrum from a winter tire as you can get. If snow traction is what you were after then you totally bought the wrong tire. I guess I was under the impression that your focus was wheeling, where I think you'll be pleased. Don't run a 315 and expect outstanding winter results, either. That's way too wide.

Yeah, I have these tires but I'm not defending them only because of that. I still think you got a great tire -- you just got it for the wrong purpose. And if you are going to dump them, I wouldn't send them back. You can probably get more out of them than you paid. You got a heck of a deal.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:46 PM

I totally understand that any mud tire will have limited capability in snow; however, I'm running a Parnelli Jones 38.5x15.50 on a set of 12" wide wheels on my 2500 and I wheel it offroad in mud, snow, rock, and hardpack. The PJ's are at least 50% wider and push tons of snow both on and off-road but never do they lose both forward and lateral traction. I've also run numerous sets of old style BFG mud terrains, Mud Kings, TSL Radials, TSL Bias, TSL SX's, Mickey Thompson's, and more that I'm probably forgetting, but none have I considered "horrible" in snow. I actually turned around after less than 2 miles and decided wheeling wasn't gonna happen last night. I would think that in warmer climates the Firestone's can hold there own.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:08 PM

Tonight I ordered a heated siping/grooving tool. I really like the MT's(except for snow) and don't want to give up just yet. Hopefully this will make a noticeable difference...

Old 02-11-2010, 02:31 AM

sorry but what is a "heated siping/grooving tool"?

Old 02-11-2010, 06:59 AM

zefrum think of it as a sodering gun but instead of electronics it burns rubber, in a controlled manner it allows you to add sipping to your lugs of your tires, sipping are small grooves that allow for better traction... some tires have them others do not, rarely do M/T have them...

Old 02-11-2010, 09:43 PM

Exactly Dakana, hopefully it will be here tommorrow. I have to update on the Firestone's... They are awesome in deep snow! We had two feet of fresh snow yesterday and I had no problem. My neighbor had his CJ w/33" AT's stuck where I just carved through with minimal effort. If the siping works, the MT's are gonna make me really happy.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:10 PM

After 2 hours of siping last night with the new tool, I can honestly say it has made a vast improvment in traction and braking ability. It was time consuming but definitely worth the effort and has made the MT's more than acceptable for snow driving. Maybe Firestone should consider some sipes in the molds of the center treadblocks!

Quick Reply: Firestone Destination Review