PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Factory Navigation Installation

Old 04-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Default Factory Navigation Installation

Hey Guys,
I have the monsoon system with 6 CD changer, I am thinking of buying the Navigation system to replace it. Is it easy to install and program is this something I need to take to the dealer or perhaps a local shop that does radio installations since they are probably cheaper ?
Also I was told by my dealer that navigation does not mute the radio very well in the factory navigation system while talking, is this true ?

Old 04-11-2009, 05:42 PM

I have a 2007 H3 with factory nav. and when I make an Onstar call, the unit mutes completely
Is this what you mean?

Old 04-12-2009, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by wfturner
I have a 2007 H3 with factory nav. and when I make an Onstar call, the unit mutes completely
Is this what you mean?
Yup thats what I meant thanks, however, he did talk about the radio.... he did mention something about Onstar, but since I do not have it activated any more, he really did not get into that part..... He said that those factory systems mute the radio but very slightly, so if the radio was very loud I would not hear the navigation talking..... either they dont know how to install it correctly or he is bs me for whatever reason.
Not many people reply on this forum anymore, is it going dead or what ?

Old 04-30-2009, 09:14 PM

Raffi, I did the same thing on my truck, the navigation is really easy to install, just four screws on the radio once you pull the face plate off. Only thing is you need the dealer to program the radio to your car. It might cost you around $80.00 for the dealer to do this, hopefully you know somone so they won't charge you. You can probably get the radio on e-bay with antenna, and CD for around $450 - $500 used. The navigation doesn't really mute the radio, the voice for directions seems to come out of the driver door speaker. If you already have the upgraded stereo then you really shouldn't have any problems. Mine was the standard radio which comes with the built in amplifier, so when I changed out my radio to the nav I had a little problem since I cant' hear that well from Onstar or the phone, this is basically due to the fact I'm missing the amplifier that the standard 6 CD radio had. Hope this helps.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:01 PM

There is an option in the config menu to change the volume of the Nav Lady.. you can make her yell at you pretty loudly... even if you're rocking out..

Old 05-01-2009, 07:27 AM

The Navigation radio does not have the mosoon system and you will lose some quality sound. So if sound is everything to you, you may want to rethink it. I made the switch and gave up my monsoon for the Nav.

Bob